Wednesday, October 2, 2019

3,4,5,6 Rails

I am making great progress on my scrapbusting projects! I've been making rail fence blocks, some with three rails, some with four, some with five, and others with six. For my quillow project, I wanted 6" finished blocks, so most of those have four rails since I was using 2" cut (1.5" finished) strips. I'm now using 1.5" cut (1" finished) strips, so now I'm making six rail blocks. 

I'm also making rail fence blocks in other sizes for other projects. The scrap user system is taking huge hits, which was exactly my aim!

My last post I showed a three rail purple/pink baby quilt on the design wall. Now I've got a five rail purple/pink baby quilt too. The blocks are different sizes, but both quilts finish at the same size. 


The three rail baby quilt is in rows now, but the five rail is actually a top already. 


This is an all purple quillow top for one of my DDIL. It's sewn into rows, and the rows are sewn into pairs. 


The largest of my pink and purple rail fence blocks ended up being turned into this. I am not counting anything as I cut up my strips, so I'm just making do with whatever I have. I had fewer pink blocks but I think my framed squares nicely make up the deficit. Even the white strips were from my strip drawers, so I am making all these quilt tops from 100% scraps. I hate "scrap quilt" patterns that use 50% more or background. What I'm doing is really using up the scraps quickly. I've already got this sewn into a quilt top too. 


When I started sewing today, these were all the quilts that I had sewn into rows. I'm sewing by thread color, busting some colored piecing thread I had, and right now I'm using purple on everything. You can see a pink quilt on the design wall in the background, but it's going to wait until I change thread colors. If you look closely, you can also see red rows on the bottom of the stack of rows over my chair. Those are going to wait too. Right now it's all about purple. 


I finished the last of these blocks this morning, and this quillow will be for DD#2. I had run out of 2" strips in purple, so now it's onto the 1.5" strips. I'm sewing this quilt into rows are leaders/enders while I sew the other quilt rows together. I've got everything labeled, and the blocks are different sizes and these use a different sized strip, so it's not too difficult to keep things straight. 

Lest you think I only had purple and pink scraps, here are the spools I've been using on this scrapbusting spree.


The third spool in, the blue one? I'm on my SECOND spool of blue! Both were about full when I started. Remember, I've already completed three blue quillow tops, and I've still got stacks of blocks I haven't worked with yet. 


I'd like to get all the purple quilts into tops this week, but I'm not sure I can do it. I am doing three quillows in mixed colors that include purple and I don't even have those blocks done yet. Those are all with the 1.5" strips so it's six rail blocks which is a bit more sewing. We'll see. I thought I'd only have two mixed quilts with purple, but I decided to make two more quillows than my original plan, so now I've got 15 to make! Fifteen quillows to make for Christmas, and it's already October??? Ambitious or crazy, one or the other I guess. 

No comments: