Friday, December 11, 2020

Thank Goodness for Deadlines!

If you saw the title of this post and thought I must surely be kidding, rest assured I'm not. This week I was very thankful for deadlines. You see, this was an awful, terrible, no-good week. If I hadn't had deadlines, I could easily have wallowed in negative emotions, and gotten stuck in a depressed funk. The only thing that kept me moving was the thought that I might not get the last of the Christmas boxes mailed on time. 

I needed to finish three quillows for this last Christmas box. Last week when I blogged I had two quilted, and I finished quilting the third last Friday. On Saturday life derailed, and we were in crisis mode for a few days, before things settled into a less than optimal conclusion. There's still a lot of uncertainty around, and honestly, a deadline was a comfort to me. It forced me to think about something else, which was a really good thing. 

The quillow for my youngest granddaugter was the smallest, so I decided to finish that first. Baby steps are good when you are upset. 


Here's the front. It's the most colorful quillow I've made. 


This is the only quillow I've made without a solid backing. There was just enough of this fleece for the backing, but not enough for the pocket, so the fleece side of the pocket is just a solid pink.


For the cotton side of the pocket I thought this fairy fabric matched nicely, and I went ahead and used it even though I didn't have a large enough piece of it and had to piece it. Even with a couple fairies chopped up at the seam I think it worked ok. 


Here's the quillow for DDIL, it's another monochromatic one. Blues of every shade are in there. 


I used some Nintendo fabric for her, because she really likes Luigi from Mario Brothers, and I thought this would be fun.


DS the Younger asked for green. 


He likes superheroes, especially Captain America, so he got Marvel fabric on the pillow front. I had some fabric with just Captain America, but it had no green, so this Marvel fabric worked better thanks to the Hulk!

Now I need to get everything wrapped so I can mail it. I've got other things that also need to be finished by Christmas, so I can keep plugging away on those.  I'm thankful that even when life goes pear-shaped, sometimes something as simple as a deadline can keep you going. 






2 comments:

Panto Pam said...

Sorry about your curve ball. Isn't it great we have our quilting to focus on when things go crazy? Love your quillows, and I'm sure your family will also!

swooze said...

Hey good job on your quillows. Hugs to you and better days ahead!