Thursday, June 3, 2021

Short-Sheeted Week

It feels like this week was short-sheeted on both ends. I went with DH on his business trip, though I had debated staying home. It ended up working out that I could see two of my nieces if I went, so I decided to go. 


We got to eat lunch at the beach on our way to the event, and I'm all about watching the waves, so that was great! I am such a water girl, stuck in a desert. DH is a desert rat through and through, and he loves the desert. I love him, so in the desert is where we live. He tries to take me to forests, lakes and beaches on a regular basis, so I get bits of what I crave from nature. 

We were gone all of Memorial Day weekend, Friday-Monday. Tuesday was doing laundry and putting everything from the trip away. Today is Thursday, and tonight we have company coming for dinner, then we have different company coming late tonight to spend the weekend. Now you can likely understand why my week seems short-sheeted. I was gone early in the week, and now I've got guests coming. It's all fun stuff, but still disruptive to my usual schedule. Not all interruptions are bad. 

I did finish sub-cutting all the fabric I brought with me to the hotel. Now that project can get added to the leader/ender queue. This is one of those, "I didn't count how many blocks I cut, so I might have to cut more later", depending on how many blocks I have and how I set them. It's a scrap busting project, so I'm pretty lax on those. If I really love how it's coming out, I might decide to cut a bunch more to make a big quilt , but for the most part, scrap quilts end up whatever size they end up. It will be a red and cream colored quilt, and I'm not sure when I'll begin sewing it.


Since I didn't have much in the way of sewing time this week, I just worked on sewing sides onto these scrappy strips. It's fast and pretty mindless sewing. Unfortunately, I sewed the centers on three different machines, so they aren't all coming out just the size they are supposed to. I think I'll be doing some trimming down once I have all the blocks done. I'm not a fan of sliver trimming, but with these simple blocks I don't have any points to worry about and if I don't center it exactly it's not likely to be noticeable in the finished quilt. I've got no deadline for this quilt either, so trimming blocks while watching TV at night works just fine for this one. I usually piece on one machine, but I had so many projects going that needed more than just a straight stitch, that I snuck in some piecing on machines I don't normally use for piecing. I won't have to trim much, just enough to make them all the same size for easier assembly. I'd totally fudge it if I had points to worry about. 


My custom painted 301 is currently set up in the living room, because I needed a change of scenery when sewing. You can see I don't have many blocks left to sew sides onto, and I'm hoping to finish today, but it will have to be in short segments of time in between all the things I have to do to get ready for dinner tonight and the weekend. I'll have to put the machine away today too, since we'll have little ones here this weekend, and I'm not going to leave the temptation out for them to get into trouble, or worse, hurt. 

Next week I think things will be back to normal for a while, so I'll have to reassess where I'm at with things and decide where my priority should be. 

No comments: