Wednesday, October 13, 2021

Met My Goals

 I am a happy quilter! I had some pretty lofty goals and less than a week to get them done, but I met them all!


I just finished quilting this monster a few minutes ago. I need to trim the edges so I can get binding on it. I might be able to trim today, but likely the binding will have to wait. I've got a houseful of company tonight, and I've got a few things to do to get ready for that! So much mess in the background, ignore that. My studio seems to either be clean or productive, and lately I've been going for productive. 

I did baste the last wedding quilt of 2021, so it's all ready to quilt after this one is bound. Well, it's ready to quilt when my quilting thread arrives, which should be any day. 


I've gotten as far as I can on the baby quilt. I've got the borders planned, but I want to use a particular fabric as the cornerstones and part of the border. I only had a fat quarter of it left, and that wasn't enough. My local shop was sold out of it, so I had to order online. No worries, I won't have any sewing time before it gets here anyway. It's due to arrive Friday, and I have company until Sunday. 

I also got the Star Wars twin sized quilt cut out. That will go to the big brother of the baby that's getting the Marvel quilt. 

Those were all the goals I had hoped to get done before I got the grandkids this week, but was doubtful I could do it. I was so busy, I actually got a bit more done than that. 


I sewed all these yellow/orange blocks into four patches just to make assembling the quilts easier. I have enough for two twins.

Yesterday, I took some time in the afternoon to make two of my grandsons weighted snakes.


I didn't have a pattern, but they are snakes, how hard could it be? I did widen the head and taper the tail, but aside from that they are just straight. I thought that fabric would make great snakes, but I used different colors on the bellies so they could tell them apart. The two year old especially likes pressure on his shoulders, so I thought make a toy snake could drape over his shoulders like a shawl to provide some of the sensory input he needs. The eyes are safety eyes, not buttons, and I reenforced the fabric with fusible interfacing before putting them on, so I think it should be safe for them. They aren't big stuffed animal fans, but I thought a weighted option would be good for their sensory issues. I sewed channels in the snakes so all the pellets couldn't go down to one end, and it makes them more easily posable too! I had fun with them, we'll see if the boys like them. 

No more sewing for me until next week, and I will likely need a day or two of recovery time after having a houseful! We'll have six extras tonight, four tomorrow night, and two until Sunday. We have two guest rooms, but even that's not quite enough for tonight. I'll figure it out! That's why we also have a cot and air mattresses. 

Maybe on my recovery days, I can do a little bit of clean up in the studio, in between all the loads of laundry I'll need to do,  it could use it!


No comments: