Friday, May 20, 2022

Covid in the House

 What a week! On Sunday DH got sick, and I mean really sick. He was shaking so badly from high fever that he was really miserable. I kept taking his temperature, 102, 103, we were giving him Tylenol and Ibuprofen and weren't really having any luck keeping it down. In the evening he was acting off, and I took his temp. 106.3! I was in disbelief, so I took it twice more, 106.3, 106.4. Even if our thermometer was off, it was really high. I told him hospital or shower. He opted for the shower, which I knew he would. He was acting a bit weird, but not seizing or delirious, so I figure our thermometer was reading high. I was pretty worried at any rate. We knew he had been exposed to covid, so we tested him. Positive, crap. He had to get a PCR test for work, and that was positive too.

I've read lots of first hand stories of how people's covid experience went, and DH's has been different from any of those. He ran high fevers for the first two days. Then he got all achy, he had one day of diarrhea, and now he's got a minor cough and runny nose. For the most part, he's only had one or two symptoms at a time. Thankfully he's had no breathing issues at all, and he's feeling much better than earlier in the week. 

I've been sleeping in a different room, and washing my hands constantly. Yesterday I felt pretty lousy, but I'm not sure it wasn't just lack of sleep. Today I feel fine with the exception of a slight cough, but my covid test was negative. It's allergy season here, and I have pretty bad seasonal allergies, so it could just be that. 

This wasn't a great week sewing wise, since I wanted to be near if DH needed something. I have been cutting quite a bit this week, so I've got several projects ready to go. 


I did manage to finish all the blocks for clue three of the Ruby Jubilee mystery in Quiltmaker magazine. I did quite a bit of ripping in the basket blocks and the blocks on the lower right, for some reason they just weren't making sense to me. I wasn't getting a lot of sleep this week, so that probably had a lot to do with it. I've been sewing on several different projects, but now that I've got clue three finished, I stuck these blocks in the project box with the other Ruby Jubilee blocks, and that can stay put away until I get the next magazine. 

Since DH had Covid, my dishwasher is still broken. I had to cancel the repair appointment. I was really wishing I could wash the dishes on the sanitize cycle, but that wasn't an option. I just used as hot of water as I could stand. My mom used to put a capful of bleach in the dishwater if we were sick, but I didn't have any bleach, so that wasn't an option either. 

DD#2 offered to do a grocery run for us, but I usually keep the house fairly stocked with food, so going a week or two without groceries is doable, even if I have to get creative. I did end up getting a couple things delivered, like shelf stable milk, because I knew if I got sick it could be a while longer. I didn't even end up cooking much this week, and instead just pulled a couple meals from the freezer that I cooked previously. I've always been big on freezing some meals ahead of time, for when life gets crazy.

We were supposed to be hosting a birthday party on Sunday for one of our granddaughters, but that's been postponed. We don't want to be spreading the virus. 

Since I feel fine today, and DH is feeling better, I'm trying to get caught up on the household chores I let slide. I'll be doing quite a bit of laundry today. I'm also hoping to finish cutting out a log cabin quilt. I prefer cutting the logs to size rather than sewing longer lengths on then trimming. I find the blocks stay square better if everything is accurate from the beginning. 

No comments: