Friday, December 16, 2022

24 Quilts Finished in 2022

 If I had to throw out a number of how many quilts I'd like to finish in any given year, I'd likely say 24. There are years I've finished more, in 2019 I finished 37 quilts. There are other years I only finish 3 or 4. 24 is a good number though, it's an average of two per month, and given how many UFO's I have lying around, it's not an unreasonable number. 

I'm a little surprised I actually finished that many quilts this year. I wasn't home two months of this year, and there was another month I couldn't sew due to other obligations. I think the only reason my number is that high is 11 of the quilts were finished quilt tops at the beginning of this year, so all I needed to do was quilt them. 

I can show you number 23 now.


It's such a cheery quilt, it was a good one to quilt in the several cloudy days we've had lately.


I often choose a backing based on what color quilting thread I'm going to use, but this time I backed with teal and quilted with pink. Wow, does the quilting show up on the back! Every mistake shows up too, which is why I often match the backing to the quilting thread. 


The color of the fabric is more accurate in the first photo, but in this one you can really see the quilting in a different color really jumps out at you. A busier backing would have hidden the quilting too. My FMQ has gotten better over the years, but there's still a lot of the time I feel like hiding it is the safer option. 

The 24th quilt I'll show in a week or two, it's a Christmas gift so I won't show it until it's gifted. I have no qualms about it being opened early, so maybe next week. 


I've got all of clue 3 of Chilhowie Mystery quilt finished. Since I'm not going scrappy there's no reason to show them all. I looked at clue 4 and I have the Accuquilt dies for that step too, so it will be an easy week for me. I saw so many women struggling with the quarter square triangles, and when they are die cut, they couldn't be easier; no dog ears to trim, no sliver trimming, just perfect little blocks. 

I'm still not done the Christmas pajamas! Part of that is because I made finishing the quilt my priority, and part of it is because I've found out that due to growth spurts, the pajamas I already made aren't not going to work for some kids. I've cut out new pajama pants, and now my goal is to get those done and they'll either fit or they won't. I've learned my lesson, I'm never making everyone pajamas for Christmas again. That's not to say I'll never make pajamas again, just not for Christmas. My family is really big and to make that many I had to start too early. If I do it for a birthday or something that's spread out and I'm only making one or two at a time, it's much more reasonable, and less likely to run into these kinds of complications. The good thing about growing kids though, someone will likely grow into the ones that aren't working now. 

Pajama pants and nightgowns are my only before Christmas goals now. The other quilt I would have liked to finish can wait. With only two weeks left of 2022, I'm not going to make myself crazy and be all stressed out for the holidays. Now to come up with ideas for next Christmas that aren't size dependent! 




No comments: