Friday, January 20, 2023

Row by Row

 Nope, I'm not doing the big Row by Row Challenge. I'm talking about getting quilts into rows. I can't clean up either my sewing or fabric rooms until I get some quilts assembled. It's going slower than I'd like, but I've now got four quilts sewn into rows. Once those are all pressed, I'll start sewing the rows to each other. Three of those quilts also have sashing rows, but I've got all of those sewn as well. 

I've got so many quilts ready to assemble, I'm actually trying to figure out if I can afford to take all of February and make it an assembly month. My first deadline quilt of 2023 is in April, so it would put the pressure on for that one, but it might be worth it, if I can get a bunch of quilt tops done and hung in the closet. Well, folded in the closet, I'm about out of hangers in the quilt closet. If I did a simultaneous basting, assembling spree, that might work best. 

It's not much fun to show stack of quilt rows, and I don't have much to show this week. I ended up having two of the grandkids spend the night Sunday night, then I had four of them yesterday for the afternoon. Thankfully, my jury duty was cancelled, I don't even enjoy crime or lawyer shows, never mind getting up close and personal to that in the real world. 


This is how my temperature quilt is coming out so far. I used a couple different sites to track the weather, and decided I liked this one best. It's easiest to read, and also tells me quickly if there was any precipitation. I also like the fact I can zero in on the weather at the Air Force base, which is a little bit closer than the airport to me. 

So far in January we've been below freezing to 77 degrees F. At the airport it was 80 degrees, which set a record, but as it turns out, both temps were the same color for me. I tend to think the Air Force base is a little more accurate compared to our house. 

I like the random patterns that are coming up as I change the directions of the flying geese units based on precipitation. 

I found out the next baby quilt I need is for a baby girl. As it so happens, the UFO I'm quilting right now could work for that. I haven't decided for sure that's what I'm giving for this baby, we'll see, but it's an option. 



My bin of 3.5" strips is almost empty! I've been cutting a bit every day, and I'm getting through them quickly. For now they will be my leader/ender projects, although I've already sewn up enough hourglass blocks for at least three quilts, once I add in the alternating squares. I do need to cut up some background fabrics too, but I'm tackling the strips first. 

The Murder Mystery Quilt I'm doing this year seems like it will be a blast! I've already gotten the first chapter of the story, and the directions for the first bit of the quilt. I spent yesterday morning cutting out the pieces, and hoping to get those done this weekend. There's still time to join if you want to try it, come on, it's Viking themed this year, how cool is that? I know I just said I don't like crime stuff, and that's true, but I love history, and the heroine is a archaeologist which is right up my alley. They are still accepting members for 2023, but enrollment closes soon. 

Here's the view from my dirty kitchen window, snow capped mountains! I could do without the power lines in the photo (Why aren't power lines buried???), but in person my brain just ignores them and I enjoy our mountain view. 


No comments: