Wednesday, July 1, 2015

A Fall off the Wagon or a Pass?

I've still not sewn much since I got home from our trip, but I have been dealing with fabric purchased on our trip. Now.....here's the thing...I am on a self imposed no-buy for this year, and I hadn't bought any fabric since last October. BUT, I realized I did not have enough fabric to finish the pineapple quilt I am currently working on. I am using green, blue, and purple batiks, alongside black tone-on-tones or gray-on-blacks. I had already cut up all the appropriate blacks I had in stash, as well as all the green, blue, and purple batiks in stash, to the point of raiding another project to steal the blues and greens. Batiks are not something I stash, I normally only buy enough for the project I am working on.

DH insists that fabric bought on vacation does not count against no-buy. I don't agree with that, but I do think buying fabric to finish a current project is acceptable. We managed to find several quilt shops on our trip, and here is what I bought, mostly fat quarters or half yards pieces.

 
Here are my purchases, and they are all for the pineapple quilt. We found one quilt shop that was going out of business and had everything marked down. That was a hard shop to not buy more stash in! I think I deserve a pass if for no other reason than I controlled myself in that shop!

I've realized my sewing room is well organized, and exceedingly functional, but not super pretty. I decided I wanted to start dressing it up a bit, and DD#3 helped me out, by buying me some vintage toy sewing machines for my birthday. Aren't they cute?


DD#2 bought me this great quilting coffee mug for my birthday, another good choice.


Don't you just love getting quilt related gifts? Then you know the people that love you "get it", and support your passion for quilting.

3 comments:

phxquilt said...

No buy is SOOOO hard, especially in the face of bargains! I surccombed @ Marden's in ME last year. Extrawide backings for $7.95 was not something I could pass up on. Can't wait to see your quilt when it's done.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Whew!! I'm SEW glad that you found additional fabrics for your pineapple quilt!!!

sb said...

I agree with DH about fabric bought on vacation. So much more useful than most of the souvenirs travelers usually buy.
Sarah in California