Friday, March 18, 2016

Quilting Therapy

What is it about finishing a quilt, that makes you feel things will be OK in the end? Sewing and quilting is cheaper than therapy, and does me about as much good, I think.

I finished the Army quilt for DS the Younger today. It is 60 x 84 inches, which is a smaller quilt for me. I used some red, white and blue variegated thread, and just meandered on the quilt. I quilted it on my Bernina 440, which is what I usually use to quilt. I do all my piecing on vintage machines, and one of these days, I'm going to try quilting on a vintage machine, but for now, I quilt on a modern machine, piece on vintage.

I had some digital camo bias tape, and I used that for the binding. I machine sew all my bindings, and a serpentine stitch makes quick work of attaching a binding.

I even managed to get a photo of the completed quilt!


I have another quilt pin-basted and ready to start quilting tomorrow for DD#1. It is similar in size to this one, a bit shorter, but same width. I've chosen the thread for that quilt, and I have a rough plan for the quilting. I'm hoping I can finish it this weekend too, so I can get it in the mail to South Africa next week. After I finish that quilt, I will try to finish a few non-quilting sewing projects, before I start the next deadline quilt.

It's funny, even though most of my sewing and quilting is for other people, I still consider the sewing time "ME" time. I really needed some time with my sewing machine, to recharge my own batteries. It's hard to be there for everyone else when I've been running on empty. I need to get back to making sewing a priority instead of fitting it in the blank spaces. It really is better for MY mental health!

1 comment:

phxquilt said...

I so agree with you. Me time is so very important to our sanity.