Wednesday, June 27, 2018

Beach in a Bag

Someone very close to me just got a cancer diagnosis, and as can be expected, there is lots of worry and fear involved. Just like me, this person's happy place is the beach, and the sound of the waves and ocean views bring calm like nothing else. Going to the beach right now is completely out, as doctor's appointments are almost daily, with treatments starting soon. If they can't get to the beach, I was determined to bring the beach to them, thus, beach in a bag!


I bought a beach tote to put it all in. Starting in the back left-hand corner with the beach tote you'll see a water bottle (bring to treatments???), some kinetic sand to build mini sand castles, though honestly, if you are stressed, just running kinetic sand through your fingers is super relaxing, and makes no mess, because it only sticks to itself. Next to the sand is a fan/spray bottle to mimic those ocean breezes.

In the middle row you see a bag of salt water taffy, a beach ball, a Tranquil Turtle I've dressed in beach gear and named him Ted. Somehow to me Ted just really needed flip flops and a sun visor, so a fat quarter and some time later, he's got them. A Tranquil turtle is actually a projector that shines watery designs on the ceiling, and it has built in wave sounds. Next to Ted is a sensory bottle I made with a combination of blue water, mineral oil, and some silver glitter. When rocked back and forth it makes some nice waves. 

In the front row is a DVD of ocean views with nature sounds, next to a novel because any good beach trip requires some reading. All of those things are on top of the beach blanket, which thankfully, was a UFO stalled at quilt top. 

When I decided to make the beach in a bag, I originally had no plans to make a quilt, as I've been pretty short on time lately. I glanced in the closet with my UFOs and remembered I had an ocean themed quilt top done, just waiting for quilting, THAT I could make time for!


I dug out some ocean fabric I've been saving for a special project for the backing, got it quilted, and I've got a finish in about 24 hours from remembering it was in the closet.


None of this will battle cancer, but if it brings even a small smile, I'll consider it victory. 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Your so amazing..You have such a giving heart and this makes you a beautiful person. I love your blog and check in to see what you have done I love your quilts you have awesome talent But I already knew that..my email is irabrat22@yahoo.com is the one I use.

Katie Z. said...

What a brilliant and thoughtful gift! You did a great job.