Friday, July 7, 2023

Finishes #10 and 11

 Now that DH is also home, and we are back to "normal" schedule, I'm finding it a bit easier to stay on track. Well, on track at least as far as my FMQ an hour per day goes. 

I all of a sudden had several grandkids ask for new quilts, and most of them wanted them to be specific themes. Making a themed quilt necessitates fabric acquisition when they want novelty stuff, and I've been doing that, but the grandtwins did not want anything themed, just color preferences. 

Miss S wanted a orange and black quilt, and she asked first. I told her I had a quilt basted and ready to quilt that was black with orange, red, and yellow. She wanted to see it and when I showed her she said she'd take that one. Since all it needed was quilting and binding, she jumped the queue to the front. 


I finished the quilt this week, and gave it to her last night. 


I had fun quilting spirals with variegated thread. The bobbin thread was just a solid orange. 

Now for Mr L. Since his twin jumped the line, I felt like he should too. I try to treat the twins as equally as possible. When I asked what he wanted in a quilt, he said he wanted a red and orange quilt. Now the quilt his sister already claimed would have fit the bill, but she already claimed it. I gave a quick look through my quilt tops, and the closest I had ready was a gray, orange, and yellow quilt top, but he nixed that. The funny thing is, I had designed a houndstooth quilt while I was in Yuma, and I had bought fat quarters for it in warm colors. I had planned on starting that quilt while I was there, and I had some cream colored yardage I had set aside for background. I showed him the quilt in EQ and he liked the design, but wanted a black background instead. This week I got that quilt cut out, and I'm starting to sew up the blocks now. When he saw his sister's quilt, he wanted variegated thread for the quilting too, and I have another large spool of it so I can do that. I think I'm going to quilt flames on his. 

After I finished the quilt for Miss S, I grabbed a basted UFO, and got it finished as well. 


It's nothing fancy, just one of the tops I made when I was busting 2" strips. 


I even busted scrap fleece on the back of this one. 

I just finished quilting yet another UFO this morning, but I'll show it after I get the binding on. It's not finished without a binding! 

I only had one more baby quilt basted, which I can easily finish in a couple hours of quilting. I did take the time to baste a twin sized quilt this week, so between those two I have enough to keep me quilting through next week. 

It's definitely time for a basting spree! I just need to bite the bullet and spend a week basting as many quilts as I can, but I've also been trying to cut out all the deadline quilts I have. The only one I've managed to cut out is the one for Mr. L. 

The main piecing I've done this aside from working on Mr. L's quilt is the June "block" for the murder mystery quilt I'm doing. 

It's the same as another month, but a different colorway. I think this one came out better than my last one, but that's partially because I changed the cutting directions a tiny bit, and my way worked better for me. I didn't measure this row or the previous one, so I'm not sure how close they are to the same size, but I'm hoping close enough to fudge it in the final layout. 

I still haven't done May's block yet, but I'm going to do the applique version, and I have another project I need to start that also has an applique section, so I'm figuring since I already missed the May deadline, I'll just do all the applique at once. I did get the June "block" done in time for the bonus clue. July's block comes out next week. 

My next quilt to cut out is going to be a baby quilt I'm making for my niece who is pregnant. I forgot I'm out of burp rags so I need to make those too. I usually make burp rags in big batches and just keep them in the gift closet. I guess I've given out more baby gifts than I thought, because I'm completely out of them! I've got the burp rag die, so they don't take long to cut out or make, but I do need to move them up on the priority list. 

It's been a busy week, but I need to stay busy while I can. I have a bunch of deadline projects, but also a couple extended periods of time coming up where no sewing will be happening, so I have to keep that in mind. 


No comments: