Tuesday, May 12, 2020

FOUR quilt tops!

I've been busy, two babies coming in July and both quilts need to be mailed, so the clock is ticking!


This is baby quilt tops number 1. The blocks were slated for a different quilt, but I opted to use just over half the blocks for this baby quilt, because the colors worked with what the parents wanted. Nine blocks didn't make a large enough quilt, 16 blocks was more like it, but the sashing put it to 50" which is about as large as I'd make a square baby quilt. A border would look fine, but I'm stopping here. I've already got a backing pieced for this one.


I decided I didn't want a weird number of blocks lying around, so I made two extra blocks and made another baby quilt out of them. No hurry to finish this one, so it's on a hanger in the quilt closet. 


This is the other baby quilt that needs to be finished by July. According to what I've heard, baby's room is being done in pink and green, with lots of roses, and the Mom wanted to incorporate ferns. The green triangles have ferns on them, and there are pink roses in the border. I was working from stash, so the greens aren't quite right together, but babies don't care! I'm sure if I had gone shopping I could have found a better border fabric, but in person shopping isn't really in the cards right now, so this will do. I purposely used a modern pattern for the quilt center, because I was afraid it was looking too grandmotherly for a baby. The fern fabric has some random pink leaves that are the same as the pink background. 

The fern fabric in the above quilt came from a thrift store, and I do really like it, but somehow it didn't feel right to put the leftover piece back in stash. It was like I had the fabric for this purpose, and I didn't need to keep it anymore. 

Well, the easiest thing to do would be to donate the remaining fabric, but since when do I do anything the easy way? I decided I was going to use it up instead. I didn't have a large enough piece to make a decent backing, and I couldn't find any coordinating fabric I wanted to use to combine it with for the backing. I decided I'd make some big Flying Geese units.



Sometimes I like using light fabrics in unexpected places, so I opted for the same pink for the Flying Geese corners, but a white calico between the columns and as the border.


Since it blends in with my design wall, here's a close up of that fabric, and you can see the fern fabric better as well. This quilt top is also hanging in the quilt closet, because there is no hurry to finish it. 

Since I made the Flying Geese units with flip and sew corners, I also ended up with bonus HST's, and I came up with a plan to use every single one of them! I keep using that same pink, and I don't think I'll have any of it left to shelve either, which is fine. I've already used all the fern fabric, I don't even think I had a strip left for the scrap user system. If I did, I've already put it away because there is none on the cutting table. 

So, what started out as me wanting to get two quilt tops done, turned into me making four quilt tops, and I've already cut all the additional pieces for the last quilt top that will use the fern fabric. 

It's weird for me to make so many quilt tops using so few fabrics, but a few of my recent projects have been SO scrappy, the calm of using just a couple prints was a bit of visual relief for me. I really love scrappy quilts, but since I donate a lot of quilts, I try to make a variety of styles, so there's something for everyone.






No comments: