Friday, July 15, 2022

Five Cans of Starch

It's too hot to iron, it really is, but I've been doing a lot of it anyway! I've gone through five cans of starch since I last blogged. I started buying starch by the case from a dry cleaner supply house. I do NOT like Best Press, I like spray starch, but I'm particular because the brand from Dollar Tree gives me asthma attacks. Faultless and Niagara I have no problem with, but I've had problems finding it locally for a decent price. It also has to be the cans with the blue cap, the gold cap starch gave DH a migraine. Since I starch all my fabric before cutting, buying starch by the case makes sense. 


I've got this mountain of flannel washed, starched, pressed and cut for a rag quilt for DS the Younger. I don't normally make flannel squares this large for rag quilts, but I'm in a time crunch, so bigger squares mean less sewing and less seam clipping, so there ya go! I couldn't let my son get deployed to Eastern Europe without a new quilt. I'll be praying for his safety, but aside from that there's not much I can do, so a new quilt at least makes me feel like he's taking some of my love with him. The top of the quilt will be superhero prints. 

I've kind of lost count of how many quilts I've cut out in the last week or two. Lately, whenever I'm dealing with a bundle of fabric, my goal is to use it all and not put anything back into stash unless it's the scrap user system. After I cut out one of the quilts, I had some fabric left, so I cut the scraps in the sizes for Bonnie Hunter's leader/ender challenge Triple Treat


I didn't sew the four patches as leader/enders, but I am sewing the blocks together as leaders/enders. I only had enough fabric left from the quilt for about 20 or so blocks, so I'm thinking table runner. I did like the blocks though, so while I was cutting some of my fabric birthday cake up for a Carolina Chain quilt, I went ahead and cut more Triple Treat blocks from another colorway. I"ll make a quilt from those blocks, if I don't have enough blocks after I count those, I'll simply cut more. I cut so many Carolina Chain blocks I may end up with two of those quilts. 


I finally got the first of the latest Ruby Jubilee blocks together. These blocks were my main project and the Triple Treat blocks were my leader/enders while making the Ruby Jubilee blocks. I have a fourth of these blocks sewn, but it's still under my needle, I was interrupted while I was sewing and never got back to the machine today. 

DH decided last minute to hold a scooter rally this November, we usually take a full year to plan those, so my sewing list just got VERY busy! I always make a rally quilt to be raffled off, and I've always made rally bags, and usually something to go into the rally bags as well. The quilt is a definite, I've already got a plan for it, but it's not cut out yet. I'll be making some scooter themed luggage tags again, but this is the last time for those, I had a bag with cut interfacing and the straps already sewn for a batch of luggage tags. I'm just going to make however many I can and then I'll be done with that. When I run out of the parts I've got ready to go, I'll be done for good. I am cutting fabric for those. He's already decided to hold a rally next year as well, so I'm already thinking of what I'll do for that one. I'm super excited about next year's rally, because he's finally going to let us do a steampunk theme, and I've been wanting to make a steampunk scooter quilt for years now! I'm glad he's holding off until next year for that though, I don't want to be on a time crunch for that quilt. 

I will be making some drawstring bags, because DH has several promotional events coming up for his scooter magazine. Drawstring bags are great for putting prizes in, that way the winners feel like they got two prizes. Whether or not I make bags for the rally is uncertain. It depends on how much I can get done. 

Since I'm now starting SO MANY THINGS, I needed to be able to work on finishing some things as well, so I'm back to FMQ the first hour of my day. I finished quilting a twin sized quilt this morning. Most of the quilts I have basted are smaller, so I think I'm going to quilt several, then set aside a day to machine sew on binding. At least with quilting an hour per day, I make steady progress and get some things actually finished! A lot of what I'll be sewing isn't quilts, so they won't take as long as that, but by having a bunch of quilts cut, when I do have time to piece I can work two projects as once because I'll have my choice of which quilt to use as leaders/enders. 

No comments: