Wednesday, July 6, 2022

Epic Birthday Cake

 I didn't think I'd be blogging this week because I didn't think anything quilty would be going on between out of town company and watching two of the grandkids for three days this coming weekend. Boy was I surprised when my sister made me a birthday cake!


My sister was a cake decorator for years and years, but I don't like cake so I never ask for one for my birthday. She was determined to make me a cake I would like, and THIS cake I like!

The top layer is a jelly roll surrounded by fat quarters. The bottom layer is all fat quarters, and the trim on the bottom is folded layer cake squares. It was such a fun idea, and a great gift!

My out of town company didn't stay as long as expected, they left yesterday, and took the dogs I was watching for them back home. The house is quiet after watching dogs for almost three months. 

Since the dog crate was gone, I could move the totes back under the stairs. They were making my fabric room really crowded! Once I got that done, I worked on cleaning up what I could of the fabric room. 

This morning, I tackled my "birthday cake". I was separating the fabrics by size, when I decided rather than put them away, I would just use them immediately. The layer cake squares are going to be used with my wonky heart die. I added some layer cake squares from stash so I could make a quilt the size I want. I chose an assortment of fat quarters to be used with my crazy quilt die. I made another stack to use for the Triple Treat leader/ender challenge, and I'm using the jelly roll for a strip twist quilt. 


About a month ago my sister and I had gone shopping. I picked up the remnant at Joann, thinking it would make a good border. I found two different fat quarter bundles at Tuesday Morning that would work with the remnant. The photo only shows the fabrics I bought that day. While I was cleaning up the fabric room, I came across this stack of fabric, and I added a couple fat quarters from my "birthday cake", and a few more from stash. I just bought a new fat quarter book, and there are several projects in there I'm anxious to make. I was inspired and cut out the whole quilt today, even the borders!

I'll be cutting the other quilts as I have time, but the fabric is sorted and the fabrics to be used with dies are stacked with the required die. 

I have some deadline quilts now, so likely all these projects will be leader/enders for the deadline quilts. I started cutting one of the deadline quilts today too. 

Right now I'm cutting the easier stuff. I'll have a three and five year old Friday-Sunday, so no cutting will get done while I have them. I'm sticking with easier stuff on these two days I didn't expect to have available, just so I can keep track of where I'm at when I get back to it next week. 

I have a lot of projects coming up with flannel, and flannel can shrink so much I wanted it all pre-washed. I washed 45 yards of matching flannel for the Christmas PJ's I'll be making, then I washed another 12 yards of flannel for a rag quilt. I'll be using more flannel than that for the rag quilt, but I'm using some stuff I had in stash that was already pre-washed. The bummer about pre-washing is all the ironing I end up having to do, but I was careful and most of the flannel really only needs pressing along the edges. It will still be a lot of pressing, but it could have been worse. 

It's time to go make dinner!

No comments: