Thursday, August 25, 2022

Some Non-Quilty Finishes

 You know those projects that you aren't thrilled about doing, so you sigh a huge sigh of relief when they are done?


Fifty rally bags, done and dusted! They are just simple drawstring bags, nothing difficult about them, but sewing 50 of anything gets boring. At least I used different fabrics this year. Sometimes they are all the same fabric. I got 16+ yards of Western-ish fabric out of stash too, which is great, because Western isn't my thing. Several of these fabrics are left from my scrub top business days. I may not like Western prints, but they were popular for scrub tops around here. 

I had another non-quilt related project to do. I've got a horse-crazed granddaughter with a birthday coming up, so I made her and her little sister matching dresses. 


They are just t-shirt dresses, nothing fancy. I had only purchased two yards of fabric, but DD#1 wanted their dresses much longer than I expected, so I barely had enough fabric. The scraps weren't big enough to have a whole horse for me to applique on the top, so they got horse heads instead. 

The colors in that horse fabric are gorgeous, so now I'm thinking about making a quilt in those colors. It will have to wait until next year though, I'm pretty booked the rest of this year.  I just had a baby quilt added to my 2022 list too. One of my nephews and his wife are having baby #2, and my great niece is due in December. It just so happens that I have a really cute baby girl quilt top hanging in my quilt closet, so I'll quilt that up and send it off before the baby comes. Sometimes UFO's really come in handy!

All the pajama pants for Christmas are cut out.


When you get a stack that high, you realize just how big the family has gotten! I still have two nightgowns to cut out, and my goal is to get those cut out next week. I didn't bother matching any of the plaids, they are pajama pants, not high fashion! 

One family I'm making two pairs of pajamas a piece. They are usually low on clothes. That why there's a few mismatched pairs in there.  Two pairs are fleece, and I was pretty irritated when I cut those.


Since the fabric was Star Wars it was already upcharged because it's licensed. When I saw the selvage was 2.25 inches, which really cut into the usable amount, I was not a happy camper. I've worked with a lot of fleece over the years, and I've never seen a selvage that wide. So in reality, that upcharged fabric also shorted me. Star Wars does not play nice! 

Next week I'm hoping to clear the decks a bit. I want to get binding onto the stack of quilted quilts, and I'd like to get a couple quilt tops assembled and hanging in the quilt closet. I've only got three more quilts basted and ready to quilt, so I'll have to find some basting time somewhere along the line. Things are moving along though, so that's good!

No comments: