Friday, August 18, 2023

Thank God for Friends Who Help You Troubleshoot!

 My Janome M7 has been a great machine, except when FMQ with polyester threads. With cotton threads I've had no problems, no matter which brand I was using, even cheap cotton threads do fine. I've used everything from 50 wt threads to 28 wt threads with no issues. I actually prefer the look of cotton thread, I don't like the shine of poly, and to me even the matte poly threads have a bit of shine to them. I don't have an embroidery machine, so I had actually gotten to the point where I was considering selling off all of my poly quilting threads. 

I have a good online friend that helped me troubleshoot the problem, and it seemed like the issue was the bobbin tension was too high for the poly threads to work well. I've never adjusted bobbin tension on a drop in bobbin case, though I'm well practiced at doing it on a regular bobbin case. My friend suggested I buy a separate bobbin case and adjust the new one, that way I'd still have the one that's working well with cotton.

When I looked up Janome Bobbin cases, I found that Janome has low tension bobbin cases specifically for FMQ!!! I ordered the one that was for my M7, and for $28, my poly issues were resolved! I quilted a quilt this week with poly, and there was no drama at all. Right now I'm using the new bobbin case with cotton thread, and it's working great with it too. Now all my threads are possibilities again!

I was so excited to try out the new bobbin case, that I didn't bind any quilts this week either. Now I've got three quilts waiting for binding, and I'm quilting another quilt now so they will all wait until at least after that. I'll have to remember to switch bobbin cases before I sew the bindings on! 


The scooter rally quilt is a top now, basted, and I started quilting it today. I asked DH how he wanted me to quilt it, and he asked me to meander on it. It's not a bad option because meandering doesn't take away from the novelty fabrics, and although I know some people don't like quilting over applique, I do as some extra insurance it won't start coming off. The funny thing is, any time I ask DH how to quilt a quilt, his preference is always that I meander. He loves to draw curvy mazes, and my meander reminds him of his mazes. His genuine preference is meandering. 

My main goal for this week was to get the rally quilt top done and basted, and I exceeded that. I've got so many deadline projects to do right now, I'm making weekly and daily sewing goals around other obligations. Family stuff and housework stills needs to happen! 

Since I met this week's goal, I'm trying to use my extra time wisely. 


I got the August murder mystery blocks done! I was thankful for an easy month. I'm way behind on my temperature quilt, but I'm hoping to catch up soon. I've been keeping notes on my phone calendar on when we get rain at our house, and I can look up the highs and lows, so it shouldn't be hard to get caught up. 

To keep moving on everything that needs to be done, I'm always cutting a project, piecing a project (or two), and quilting a project. This week I cut all the blocks I need for several table toppers. For piecing I finished the rally quilt top, I starting piecing blocks for the table runners, and I'm almost finished piecing a doll quilt that has a deadline. Since I haven't had time for a basting spree, I'm also having to fit in basting time, but I basted two quilts this week which should be enough to keep me FMQ next week. 

Next week my goals for cutting are to cut out two Christmas quilts. For piecing I'd like to get the doll quilt top finished and basted, as well as a baby quilt I haven't started sewing on yet. Any extra piecing time will be the temperature quilt and the blocks for the table toppers. FMQ goals are to finish quilting the rally quilt and bind all the quilts waiting for binding.  

This weekend I don't have anything going with the grandkids, and DH is booked solid, so I'm hoping to clear off the Studio cutter and cut out a big stack of burp rags. I like to give several burp rags with every baby quilt I make, so I go through them pretty quickly. I like to make them in huge batches so I don't have to make them as frequently. I am completely out, and I've got multiple baby quilts to make, so it's a good time to make a batch.

I may be swamped with deadlines, but I'm staying on target so far to get them done. 



No comments: