Thursday, December 21, 2023

Decisions Can Be Tough

 First the good news! I'm all caught up on the Indigo Way mystery! I just finished sewing up the rest of clue 4 so I'm ready for clue 5 tomorrow. The few units that aren't pressed yet should get pressed tonight, so I'm good on that.


Here are a few units done in my colorway.

And here are a few in Bonnie's colorway made with men's shirts. Yeah, stripes and plaids going every which way do not stress me out at all, so sorry if this is an eyesore for you. 

I've been so busy catching up on Indigo Way quilts, plus making blocks for two baby quilts as leaders/enders, that I haven't managed to do much on the Viking Murder Mystery quilt. The designer gave three options for layouts, but I'm not sold on any of those. She also gave her blessing to finish the quilts however you please, which is what I'm planning on doing. I like parts of all of her layouts, but I also want to personalize the quilt a bit.


I first put this up on the design wall. Obviously I have bits to fill in, but until I decide the final layout, I'm not sure which bits I need. I did decide I liked the medallion so I sewed it up so it would look correct and be the finished size.


Now the medallion looks much better. Most people are using the flowers as the sails, and I don't like that option. The flowers don't look substantial enough to be sails to me. The medallion doesn't look like a Viking sail to me either, so I'm debating making a red and white striped sail instead. These are all the blocks I made during the Viking Mystery, but a few of them may end being put aside and used elsewhere. I just haven't settled on a layout yet. If Bonnie gives an easy clue tomorrow as promised, I should have time next week to work out a plan for the layout. I'll make the missing part of the ship first, because that's a given. I'd like to have the Viking quilt into a top before the Greek murder mystery starts in January. How the final quilt top will look is still a mystery to me, even with three layout options given to me. I seem to be fond of answer D- none of the above!

Speaking of the Greek Murder Mystery, I need to pull fabrics for that as well. I think I can get almost everything from stash, except for one color, maybe two. I find pulling fabrics for the murder mysteries much more difficult than pulling for Bonnie Hunter Mysteries. I think the most colors Bonnie has used in a mystery is six, whereas in the murder mysteries you are pulling 18-20 colors. It's a lot of fabrics to pull when you don't know how they'll be used in the quilt. For example, I followed the color guide for the Viking mystery, but I think my orange and yellow are both too bright when looking at the quilt going together. Of course, making the mystery quilt is the fun part. I never worry about whether or not I'll like the finished project. Mystery quilts are all about the process for me. 

The other reason I need this Viking quilt put together is so my design wall is free to layout the baby quilts. I have all the blocks done for one of them, but no place to lay it out. My sewing and cutting rooms are both trashed right now because I'm working on so many projects! I haven't been doing any FMQ right now because there is so much going on, and as soon as a baby quilt is assembled it goes to the front of the quilting queue. The clock is ticking on those!



No comments: