Thursday, March 7, 2024

Using the Same Fabric Twice

 The grandtwins are 13 now, but once upon a time DD#3 and I were decorating their nursery. With boy/girl twins in mind, DD#3 wanted a samurai/geisha themed nursery. I bought some fabric from Japan, and made some curtains for the nursery. When we took the curtains down, I put them aside because the fabric was in great shape, and eventually I cut them apart and put them in a couple quilt tops.


I just finished sewing the binding on this quilt top a few minutes ago. It's finish #8 for the year. Without looking, I think I made a smaller quilt top from the leftovers of this one. This one is twin sized, the other I think is a baby quilt. Like I said, I didn't look through the quilt closet to check, but if my memory is correct, those curtains went into two quilt tops. 

Originally I wasn't planning on using sashing, but the quilt was much too busy without it. There is actually quite a bit of black in the novelty fabric, so black was the obvious choice. I used a solid black, which looked rather stark against the busy print, so to soften the black a bit, I quilted with a pastel variegated thread. 


The thread mostly looks white in the photo, but it's not white at all. I took several photos, but I couldn't get the thread colors to show up. A pastel thread on black is not an intuitive choice, but I wanted to soften the solid black, and I knew if I quilted with a strongly contrasting thread, the black wouldn't look solid anymore. I could have just chosen a solid light colored thread from one of the colors in the quilt, but I happened to have a variegated thread with all the colors in it. The black and white gingham binding was another choice meant to soften the look of the black. 

I'm happy with how the quilt came out. Quilting flowers on a twin sized quilt was not quick, so my next quilt will be a simple baby quilt I'm just going to meander on. I switched my Janome over to FMQ as soon as I had the binding for this quilt sewn on, and it's threaded and ready to go for the next quilt in the queue. 

As far as piecing goes, I finished a quilt top for a deadline quilt today too, and I'm planning to baste it this weekend. That quilt needs to be finished this month, so it will jump ahead in the quilting queue, but I think I can get the baby quilt quilted first without any risk to getting the deadline quilt finished in time. 

No comments: