Thursday, February 29, 2024

Finish #7, Five Of Which Were UFO's

 I'm starting to think of this year as Operation Clean Slate. I won't finish the year with no UFO's, I have too many to catch up in one year. If I had a longarm, maybe, but I don't so I'm not going to stress about it. Quilt tops don't stress me out as long as they are hanging in the quilt closet, BUT, I now have more quilt tops than I have hangers, and I refuse to buy more hangers. What I'd love to have is some empty hangers at the end of the year. Two empty hangers, if I get enough quilts finished to have two empty hangers I'll count it as an epic win! 


DH took this photo for me, and he was standing on a chair holding the phone way out in front of him. The quilt is rectangular, not wonky like it looks in the photo. This quilt used up all the leftovers from a quilt I made back in 2016, plus the leftovers from a baby quilt I made a couple years ago. That fairy fabric and metallic star fabric is gone. Well, I might have an odd square or strip in the scrap user system, but there is no yardage left. This quilt is twin sized. 

I'm quilting another twin sized quilt now, but I'm quilting flowers on it so the quilting is taking quite a bit longer. I'm hoping to finish it by the end of next week. 

On the piecing front I've got piecing projects going on two different machines. I'm assembling the men's shirt version of Indigo Way, and I'm using a UFO as my leader/ender project than can use the same light colored piecing thread. 

My vintage machine had dark gray piecing thread, so I'm making One of the deadline quilts for a grandson on that, with a UFO that can be pieced with dark thread as my leader/ender project on that. 

One of the reasons I have so many quilt tops right now (aside from the fact I made 18 quilt tops while living in a hotel for three months last year), stems from my decision to try to use only UFO's as my leader/ender projects. 


These blocks are a great example of this. I have had the colored pieced strips done for at least two years. All that needed to be done to finish the blocks is to add the three WOW strips. This project languished because I never prioritized it to be the main project, BUT, finishing the blocks as leaders/enders while having another main project, THAT works for me! I assembled the colored strips as leaders/enders too, and I think I'll have enough blocks for two quilts. I don't plan on adding borders, so making two quilts from scraps, while never having either be a main a project until assembly is a good way to be more productive. 

Today is the last day of February, and I've finished 7 quilts so far. If I can keep this up, it will be a really good year, but I'm not going to hurt myself trying to reach a big goal. So far my plan is working well, and I'm able to keep my RSI from complaining. It feels good to see projects getting to the step, parts into blocks, blocks into quilt tops, quilt tops to basting, basting to FMQ, quilting to binding. If I can keep things moving along, I'm not going to stress about UFO's. 

No comments: