Friday, February 16, 2024

Go-To Block Sizes for Scraps

 I love a good scrap quilt, and for scraps, my go-to block size is 6" finished. Why 6" blocks? Here are just a few reasons.

Novelty prints-


This particular novelty print is fairly small scale, but some novelty prints are huge. I've found that when I cut 6.5" squares (to finish at 6") even the larger prints have enough of the design to tell what it is without fussy cutting. I know some quilters LOVE fussy cutting, and if you do, kudos! When I'm busting scraps, I'm trying to get rid of fabrics, and I've got no desire to spend a bunch of my time fussy cutting, which just makes smaller, weirder shaped scraps. 


These are all 6" finished blocks. All of them can be made with either 1.5, 2, 2.5, or 3.5" cut strips. I use the EZ angle and Companion angle rulers for HST's and QST's, so I don't have to cut huge squares then trim down to make those units. Some of these are scrappy, some are not. I have dozens of other block patterns I use to make 6" finished blocks. The thing about sticking with a consistent size, is that you learn different ways to set the blocks to make the quilts look different, but you can bust lots of blocks even if they are different if the block size is the same. Got a bunch of random 6" blocks? Sash them with cornerstones. Use them as the centers of sawtooth stars and push them up to 12" blocks. Frame them with alternating colors and set them next to each other. Make matching QST's and use the scrap blocks every other block and you'll have a quilt that looks on point but it was easier to make. Use matching nine patches as an alternate block and you'll get an Irish Chain look. 

I see a lot of quilters who like 12" blocks. You don't need as many blocks to make a quilt when your blocks are that large. There are advantage to large blocks too. BUT, my preference for SCRAPS is smaller blocks. A lot of blocks need matching fabrics in certain placements. When I'm using up scraps, I may not have enough of any particular fabric to do repeating units. I like blocks where I can use up the smaller bits, strips that aren't WOF, maybe not even half that much. 


Go, Chiefs! Superbowl champions 2024! For this block I needed 2- 2.5 x 6.5" pieces, then 2 matching 2.5" squares. You can get that from 18" of a 2.5" strip. So if you have strips from a fat quarter, you're good. Have half a jelly roll strip leftover from another project? That's plenty of fabric for this block.


For this 6" block, I needed 4 scraps 2" x 3.5" So, when I'm tackling the Scrap User system, the bits that are more than one square wide, but not quite two squares wide can go into this pattern. 

What about scraps that aren't strips? Crumb blocks? I make 6" blocks. String blocks? I usually make 6" blocks. Six inch blocks help you get rid of the smaller stuff. If you want to make 10 or 12 inch string blocks, you need pretty long pieces, especially if you are piecing them on the diagonal like I usually do. To make large crumb blocks I usually end up having to use a bunch of longer pieces so I'm digging into my strings when I want to be using crumbs. 

Another reason I like 6" squares? The math is easy. Sew four together and you've got a 12" block. I tend to make baby quilts around 48" square. That's 64 blocks set 8x8 if I don't use sashing or a border. An 8x10 setting gives me a 48 x 60" quilt which is a good size for a kid. 10x12 setting is a 60x72" quilt, good for a adult throw. 12x15 setting gives me a twin. Most of my scrap quilts aren't going to be larger than a twin. 

I'm not saying everyone needs to make 6" blocks out of their scraps. I don't even care if you toss your scraps, it's not my business. What I am saying is that IF you WANT to make good use of your scraps, making consistent sized blocks from your scraps will make them easier to use in quilt tops. Choose whatever size blocks you like. I like pre-cutting my scraps, and all the sizes I cut can be used in 6" blocks, so for me, this makes sense. Whichever size blocks you like to make, find several block patterns that are good for scraps, then find several setting options for those blocks. 

If you have some Go-to options, you can just make scrap blocks as leaders/enders, or just for fun in between big projects, and when the stack is big enough, make a quilt top. Scrap quilts don't have to be a chore, and they don't have to be the main project. With a little planning, they can happen organically, and then you'll be making more quilts than ever, without even trying. 

1 comment:

Panto Pam said...

Great ideas! I also cut my scraps into those sizes, but they are just sitting in their containers at the moment because I am on a crumb chaos/mile a minute/wonky log cabin kick from my overflowing laundry basket of strings which is crooked offcuts less than 2 inches. I trim those blocks to 6.5 inches and set them checkerboard style with a neutral contrasting fabric from my stash cut into 6.5 inch squares. These blocks are so fun to make, and I just keep sewing the string until it gone, or I use the end to start another block. These quilts are being donated through my church's quilt ministry. Since January I have made two of these quilts (48 x 72) and am working on a third and the laundry basket of strings keeps getting taller. LOL!