Wednesday, February 21, 2024

Finish #6 for 2024

 It's not a big finish, but it is finished!


It's a baby quilt, about 45" square, and it's the last of some fat quarters I used in three quilts, this being the smallest. 

I'm almost finished quilting another quilt, a twin sized one, so once that one is bound I'll have another one to show. 


I had four blocks to make for the Greek Murder Mystery quilt for February, and here they are all finished. I put them side by side for the pic, but I don't know how they'll be set in the quilt, it is a mystery after all. I'm very happy that I had swapped out a couple of my blues before the mystery started. These blues have better contrast than my original choices. 

I'm having a little bit of trouble getting back into a routine after the family reunion we hosted. I'm fully recovered from the hubbub, and I got my house back to normal the next day, but my original thoughts for what I'd work on after the reunion have changed a little bit. We will have out of town company for a week next month, and I decided it probably wasn't the best time to get neck deep into my strings. I LOVE string piecing, but it really makes a mess!

I decided it's probably best to put the strings on the back burner a bit longer, and go back to working on deadline quilts. The next deadline quilt I need is a really quick quilt kit. It starts with two different panels and I had cut it out before the reunion. I started piecing it today, and I'm really thinking I can get this twin sized quilt pieced in three days max. Tomorrow is a no sew day, I'm going to the zoo with some of the grands since they don't have school. You know you live in the west when school kids get vacation days for rodeo. 

I also finished two quilt tops I had started assembling before the reunion. I have a third ready for borders, and I just cut those, so almost another top done! 

I guess when I list it out, I've finished more than I thought. I think it's just not as much as I had hoped. 

DD#1 told me Miss A wants a sewing machine for for her birthday in the fall. I was debating whether or not to give her one of mine, or buy a newer one for her, when a sewing machine fell into my lap for her. 


When my oldest sister and I went up to see our new great nephew last week, our nephew told us he'd like his mom's machine to go to a family member. I told him I had a granddaughter asking for a sewing machine, and he said his mom would have liked it going to the next generation, and my sister and I agreed. I want to take it in for servicing before I pass it on. Our sister passed five years ago, so I'm betting that machine is bone dry and the grease in the gears should be replaced. It should be a solid machine for my granddaughter though, and it having a cabinet is a nice perk. I was leaning towards a vintage machine for her anyway, and this way she'll have her great-aunt's machine which is pretty cool! 


My nephew even gave me my sister's sewing box with all the accessories and notions, so it's a good start for a new sewist. I'm going to keep her and her sister soon for a couple nights, and we are going to make some simple skirts for them. Miss A is nine, but her sister is only five. Of course the five year old whom I've never sewed with wants to start out by making a dress, but I talked her down to a skirt. Miss A seems to have a natural aptitude for sewing, so I probably could make a dress with her, but since we'll be trying to make two matching garments in two days, I'm thinking elastic waist skirts are a safer choice. Once I know how patient the five year old is with sewing, I'll have a better idea of appropriate projects. 


No comments: