Monday, January 11, 2016

Slowly Making Progress on Allietare

I have to say, I've only had a fraction of the sewing time I thought I'd have in the last week. Even so, I have made a little progress on quilting front.


 Those knocked off corner rectangles to go with the setting triangles -done! Clue 4 units? I have 14 sets of each colorway done. I really thing the only thing that makes clue 4 so time consuming is the fact we need to keep them in sets of four. If they were completely scrappy, I could sew the right wings on all the pieces, then the left wings on all the pieces, sew two units together and be done with it. If I was using constant fabrics it would be similar. It's the groups of four thing that makes it take so long in my mind.

How I have been handling clue four is I sew one wing on each trapezoid of a set, then throw in a leader/ender. I snip the chain, sew the other wing on each trapezoid set, throw in a leader/ender, snip the chain, finger press, snip dog ears. I sew the two trapezoid units to each other, throw in a leader/ender, and put the completed set of four in a pile to be pressed. I've been alternating between the two colorways I'm doing.

Notice how many leader/enders I am throwing in? I am getting three leader/enders sewn for each set of four clue four units. So, what's my leader/ender project?


I'm working on this baby quilt, that needs to be finished by the end of the month. I've got seven rows finished out of nine rows total. I'll have the baby quilt together before I finish clue four. Once I've got the baby quilt together, I'll start assembling blocks of the mystery quilt as my leaders/enders, so the quilts will be their own leader/enders. I've got another baby quilt due next month, so eventually I'll throw it into the mix too. Baby quilts are a great leader/ender thing, because they come together without ever making them the main project. They only become center stage when I quilt them.

If I were only doing one colorway, I'd have clue four about done. I have 28 sets done, and we need 30 sets for each quilt. Since I have 60 sets to make, I'm just under halfway. Considering how much other stuff I've had on my plate lately, I'm pretty happy with where I'm at. I have clues 1,2,3, and 5 completely done in both colorways, and clue 6 is the blocks, setting triangles, and final assembly, of which I only have four blocks in each colorway complete. Slowly, but surely, they are coming together. I applaud the people who have their mystery quilts done, but I knew that wasn't going to happen quickly for me, and I'm OK with that.


The sunbonnets I made for my youngest granddaughter finally made it to South Africa. She's so fair she burns easily, and I hope these help protect her from the sun. 

Tomorrow the grandtwins (who live with us) turn five, but we aren't doing their birthday party until Saturday. Where did the time go?

No comments: