Wednesday, August 28, 2019

A Couple Finishes

In my last post I mentioned I was changing my focus. This last week has seen me working towards that new focus. 



I finished two weighted blankets this week. I have had the tops done for five weighted blankets since January or so. I even pinned the tops to backing fabrics so I can sew up the side seams, flip them right side out and start sewing the channels to fill. I've been stalled at that point for months. I found another person in need of a weighted blanket, so that meant I had three claimed by other people, and I wanted to keep one at my house in case someone needed one while staying here. So, of the five I had partially prepped, four were already spoken for. It is time to get this project off my to do list and onto my TA-DA! It's Finished list. I realized I should be able to get all five weighted blankets finished in a couple weeks as long as my arm holds out. Two down, three to go, and then I've got the weighted blanket monkey off of my back!


I haven't touched the rows of red 6" rail fence blocks since I sewed them into rows. I have enough pink and purple 6" blocks done for one quillow each, and enough green 6" blocks for two quillows. I'm also amassing a nice pile of 9" rail fence blocks. I'm going to make the green blocks into a twin sized quilt. I'll be adding in some framed squares to make up the blocks I need for the size I want. I could make baby sized quilts from the pink and purple, and a throw from the red, but I was thinking about it, and I could also mix some colors together checkerboard style to make something larger. I really haven't decided yet. I don't need any of those quilts anytime soon, it's the weighted blankets and quillows I need to get finished. 

The only other color I already have sub-cut is blue, and I should have enough blue cut to make two quillows from 6" rail fence blocks. I think I need four blue quillows though. I'll be digging out different size strips to make the extras. I need at least 13 quillows total, and that's without making one for myself or a couple other people I'd like to make them for. At least I've got the blocks made for 5 quillows, that's a decent start. 

My main project for the next couple of weeks is the weighted blankets, and any other sewing time I have I'll be working on either the quillow projects or the other scrap busting projects I have going. I'm not going to be doing any FMQ while I work on weighted blankets, it's too much stress on my arm. 

No comments: