Thursday, July 30, 2020

Rearranging

DH redoing his office is having a domino effect in the house. Honestly, I think it's just the push we needed to do a few things we've been putting off.

The first rearranging I did this week was in the living room.


 This is the sewing corner in my living room. I put up a machine when I want to sew in there, but lately I've been cutting in here. Usually when I sew up here, I'm making string blocks, so the lingerie cabinet in the corner has sewing supplies and all my foundation papers for making string blocks. The bottom drawers even have strings for a current project. 


I rearranged the furniture a bit, and now the loveseat on the right hand side completely blocks the view of my sewing area from the seating area. I can still easily see the television from my sewing area, but I don't have to look at whatever I was working on when I'm taking a break from it. Feel free to ignore the back wall, right now it's got three vintage machines and a set of shelves along it. I'm keeping the two treadles, but I think I'm going to sell the featherweight in the cabinet, and that set of shelves is getting donated. I have plans for what to put on that wall, but it will be a while before that wall is finished. 


I had a different quilt rack in the living room, but this one is nicer and was hiding in the guest room, so I swapped out the quilt racks. 

Next I started on my fabric room. My yardage cabinets aren't getting moved unless we move houses which we are no longer thinking about. Those cabinets are fastened to studs in the wall, and so they are permanent as long as we live here.

The kitchen cabinets I have in fabric room aren't fastened to anything, however, so those I did move. 


I decided since the room is long and skinny, it made more sense to put the kitchen cabinets on the short wall, since they are really deep, and having them where they were made the room even skinnier. 


We had two sets of shelves we were going to donate, but I decided to move one set down to the fabric room and put my smaller Go and Studio dies on them. My big Studio strip dies are in the cabinets under the Studio cutter. The shelves I had the small dies on is short, and you can see the side of it slipped under the countertop between the kitchen cabinets. I don't have a large area to access those shelves now, so I'm using it to store bolts of interfacing and fusibles, and it works just fine for that. I thought about getting rid of those shelves, but they fit in an area that would have just been dead space, so I decided to keep them. 

The folding table I'm currently using as an island in my sewing room is 30x96", and I have plenty of room to walk around it. It's up on risers, but I'd like to get taller risers. Actually, what I'd really like is to have a custom island for the fabric room 48x84" and 35" high. That would be ideal for the space, and be a better height for me to work at. 

I've spent more time rearranging this week than sewing. I did start sewing the quilt blocks for my BIL from my late sister's clothes. I also finished cutting the second rag quilt for her kids. For some reason, after cutting about 150 blocks, the rag die suddenly became easier to roll through the cutter, but it continued to cut just fine. I don't know what the change was. I need to cut out a baby quilt, and then I'll be sewing like a madwoman, to get all the cut projects sewn up. 

It looks like another of my kids has Covid 19 now, so just a reminder to stay safe. 




Even the dinosaurs around here are masked up! 

1 comment:

Panto Pam said...

Wanted to let you know that your rearranging posts inspired me to clean, rearrange and reorganize my sewing space. I wanted to add a tv to watch quilting videos on YouTube while I sewed and it caused a big shuffle. My space feels so much lighter now and I am spending lots of time in my Happy Place. Thank you for sharing your space with us!