Thursday, July 9, 2020

A Couple UFO's

I have two finishes this week, both UFO's. 


All the HST's in this quilt were bonus triangles from another quilt. The border fabric is completely busted from my stash, I figured the sashing and border sizes by how much fabric I had and used it all. 


I debated back and forth on which color binding to use. The backing is pink but I didn't like it with pink binding. I'm really happy with the black/white stripe.


This was already a UFO top when it came up that I had a great niece who would like a bigger quilt than her baby quilt. Her favorite colors are pink and purple, so I thought this would work nicely. I used a pink gingham binding on this one. This was one of the quilts made from my huge scrap busting project.


My cutting time this week was all spent on my late sister's clothes. I'm about done working with her knit shirts, and it's time to get out her pants. My goal is to cut all all the projects I plan on making with her clothes in July. If I have them all ready to go, I should be able to finish them all in a timely manner. 

The quilt that was on the design wall last week is almost assembled. I think I'll likely have it a top tomorrow. 


I'm working on putting another quilt on the design wall now. I'm putting it up sideways so it will fit on the design wall. It's another scrap busting project. 

I've got some rearranging to do in the house today. DH is getting a major home office upgrade. He had a broken desk, and a mishmash of furniture we bought over 30 years ago that had seen better days. We tossed the broken desk before DD#3's family moved in for a couple months, and DH has been using my desk. Well, with the office upgrade, we bought him a new desk, and now that his office is painted, his new desk is assembled and I have my desk back! I was really tired of only having a small craft table as my desk, and I'm happy to have my desk back again. 

We debated buying new bookshelves for DH's office, but since we just got him the desk and a new computer, we decided to move the nice bookshelves in our living room to his office. That meant I had to find places to put everything that was on those shelves or do a huge purge. I had been purging stuff from those shelves for a while now, so one of the three units was basically empty. Almost all the books that were left on another unit belonged to DH, and this got him to actually go through those, so that was good. The biggest issue was the photos. The bottom of one set was all photos, both albums and photo boxes. I don't have the mindspace right now to tackle that project.

I did move the photos from some albums that were falling apart to some albums I bought ages ago to replace them. I've found places to put all of the photos for now, but eventually, I need to go through all the photos. Scanning the photos into the computer and putting them on DVD's might be nice, and then I could easily add in more recent digital photos, but that project would likely take months, and I'm just not motivated to start that now. 

I also have to move the board games, and that's today's project. When my kids were young we kept the board games in the upstairs hall linen closet, but when we bought the bookshelf/cabinets for the living room a few years ago I purged a bunch of them, and moved them down to the living room. Now they are going back to the linen closet, and I need to rearrange the linen closet to make that work. I purged a couple more games, but we play what's left with the grandkids, so those will stay.  I'll probably end up moving some of the linens to another linen closet in the house, so I'll actually be spending my afternoon rearranging two linen closets. Neither closet is full, so it won't be that bad, but I had already purged down to two sets of sheets per bed in the house, and just enough towels for each bathroom, so there's not anything I could easily purge in either closet at this point. 

I always find it funny how one household change leads to several. DH's upgraded office is coming along nicely. He has this weekend off, which is unusual, but it will give him a chance to get things settled in his new furniture. He's purging what he can, and some things will be moving to other spots in the house. He had some things in his office that are better suited to be stored in the storage room in the basement, or even on the main floor. I now have an empty wall in the living room, and we are debating what to do about that. We have an idea, but it will take a while to make that happen. If the empty wall makes me crazy I'll just move a big picture there temporarily. The furniture DH is no longer using we had thought to get rid of, but I think some of it will be repurposed instead. The ancient shelves might head down to the storage room, and another piece of furniture will be moved to the kitchen, and the piece that replaces goes to the grandkid room...

We have a big purge planned in the kitchen soon, taking out some cabinets that were a huge help when there were seven people living here, but really unnecessary now. We had used cabinets to make built in seating in the dining area when we remodeled the kitchen 15 years ago, and now I'm ready to take those out. We had just installed them over the flooring, and the flooring really needs to be replaced now, since we hadn't replaced the flooring during the kitchen remodel. We weren't the ones to put down the kitchen flooring, and we've lived here 17 years, so it's old flooring. We were going to have to uninstall the built in seating and corner china cabinets to put in new flooring, and after thinking about it, I decided I don't want to put them back. I'll be purging a bunch of special occasion items, and getting things down to what I really use. I have a milk glass collection that DD#3 really wants, so it will go to her. I think the new flooring will be a 2021 project, but we can uninstall the cabinets and do the big purge whenever we want before that, so I'm hoping that will be soon. 

I bet we aren't alone in redoing our living spaces. With everyone spending so much time at home these days, it makes you look at things differently. We are empty nesters now, so we are at the purging stage of life, trying to simplify as much as we can, so things are easier to care for. I've always thought the cheapest way to redecorate was to get rid of things, and besides replacing some things that really needed to be replaced, that's exactly what we are doing. 

1 comment:

sb said...

The first quilt is really amazing. I also enjoyed your description of the way you are reorganizing your house.
Sarah in California