Tuesday, June 30, 2020

Scraps at Work

The monster sized Pineapple Blossom quilt is finally a top!


These are all scraps, but I decided to do it very color controlled, while still using all the colors. I started out years ago with crayons and graph paper. I figured the quilt easily enough, and I made the quarter blocks in a timely manner, but it languished for a while after that. Eventually I dug it out and sewed the quarter blocks into big blocks, but then it got set aside again. I dug these out about three months ago, and it's FINALLY sewn into a top. Now that it's hanging in the quilt closet it will get into a basting spree, and eventually it will get quilted. I'm not in a hurry to finish it, but I am SO relieved it's a finished top! 

I've made a Pineapple Blossom before, the last one I finished was a red/green Christmas quilt which was much easier than one. I have another started, which is completely random color placement aside from the neutral corners. I don't have any imminent plans to work on that one though, even though the pieces are cut and some blocks are made. 


^This is the next quilt to be assembled. The 3" nine patches were leftover from a wedding quilt I made a few years ago, though I did have to make a few more for this quilt. I would have loved to make this quilt a bit bigger, but I ran out of both the white and the pink and green floral, so this is the size it will be. I have just enough of another fabric I backed the last baby quilt with to be the border of this quilt, so this quilt will be the end of three different fabrics. 


This is the stack I ended up with of the larger squares from my late sister's knit shirts. After counting them up, I have just enough to make two rag quilts, but I didn't buy enough flannel backing so I'll be ordering more. 

Now that I'm down to smaller pieces, it gets trickier. The other things I'll be making will be traditionally pieced, and mixed with her other items of clothing which are not stretchy. I'll be adding fusibles to stabilize the smaller knit pieces so they'll play well with other fabrics. Nothing I'm making is difficult, but there is more prep work when working from clothing. 

This is my birthday week, so I'm not going to work myself ragged, and after getting that quilt top together I kind of think I deserve a break. Matching all those sashings took a lot of brain power. 

I still have so much to work on, lots of prep to do for upcoming quilts, and I've got one quilt ready for binding and one I'm almost finished quilting. I think for this week I'll likely just take the time to work on whatever I want to, and not give myself any deadlines. 

Stay healthy out there!


No comments: