Friday, June 19, 2020

This Works, This Doesn't

Some things in my quilty world are just the way I want them, and they work beautifully for me. For example, the way I store my yardage (over 1 yard pieces) works fantastic for me. If you've forgotten how I store my yardage, or are new to my blog, here's a photo of it.


It's not normally so bright in the basement, but I have the curtains down to wash them. My fabric is in view, but behind glass to protect it from dust. I use my fabric best if I can see it. Totes of yardage would be forgotten around here. 

I've been tweaking the way I store fat quarters-1 yard pieces, and although I need to sort some more, I'm pretty close to a good workable system for me. Those pieces are folded in drawers and stored upright so I can see at a glance what I want. 


The thing I haven't been happy with is scraps. I have a scrap user system, and I've already learned if I don't pre-cut scraps at least into strips I won't use them. You may have a completely different experience and work habits, and that's great! The thing about finding what works and what doesn't is a completely personal thing. I've had a bunch of deadline quilts over the past few years, so many weddings, so many babies! Since I've had so many new starts, I haven't been using my scraps as much as usual, so last year I started a concentrated effort to bust some scraps. At this point I am almost out of 2" strips, only browns are left in strips. I still have overflowing drawers of 1.5" and 2.5" strips. I have lots of ideas to bust those sizes too, but I'm back onto deadline quilts for a bit. I am using scrap projects as my leader/enders for other projects, so even those are moving forward, albeit slowly. 

When I've busted the majority of my scraps, I'm open to a new way of dealing with scraps, so I've been researching how other people deal with scraps. I watch Pat Sloan's YouTube channel, and found out she only saves 2.5" squares. I have several go to patterns I use for squares, but I realized I would quickly get tired of making scrap quilts if that's all I used. If I didn't produce as many scraps as I do, that might be more practical. 

I saw other blogs and watched other videos where people save all the pre-cut sizes. They save 2.5" squares, 2.5" strips, 5" squares, and 10" squares. I have quite a few quilt books based on pre-cut sizes, but aside from the occasional jelly roll, I rarely buy pre-cuts. I started thinking about why I don't buy pre-cuts (aside from the fact I already have LOTS of fabric) and I realized I don't like working with charm squares at all. Almost every unit you make with charm squares needs to be sliver trimmed, and I am not a fan of sliver trimming. Yes, you can cut a charm square into four squares and use the 2.5" squares in a four patch, but I'd rather cut those same squares from a 2.5" strip. If you need HST's from charm squares, you're always going to be trimming. QST's, you'll be trimming. I can make all of those units from 2.5" strips using specialty rulers with no trimming. I realized I just really don't like using 5" squares for much of anything. When I first started my scrap system, I did cut 5" squares. I went to the drawer they are in, and realized I've never really used any. THAT was helpful information! 


I took all of my 5" squares, and cut them into 2.5" squares, which I do use regularly. These were all cut from my 5" squares. The thing is, I had another container of similar size also filled with 2.5" squares. I needed a project for these to go into. 


I took both containers of squares, and if I had four or five of the same fabric, I matched it with another set and pinned it together so I can make these into nine patches. The bowl these are in is HUGE! I didn't count, but I bet I have enough nine patches for at least four quilts in here. Now instead of a drawer of 5" squares I've never touched, plus an overflowing container of 2.5" squares, I have leaders/enders to last quite a while, and this is what I've got left in my 2.5" squares.


I couldn't believe I had so few left that were only 3 or less of the same fabric! Usually I store the squares vertically in this container, but I had so few left I didn't have to. I have a couple UFO's that need 2.5" squares, but this size scrap adds up pretty quickly, and they aren't UFO's I plan on tackling soon, so I'm sure I'll have enough by the time I get to those. 

With my new realization that I don't use 5" squares, I went through my quilt books and pulled all the ones that focused on 5" squares. One of my grandsons was asking me for some more books the other day, and there is a used book store where I can trade in my quilt books and get him some books instead. I got him hooked on a series, and I bet they've got some of the next ones he needs. 

With all of my research into scrap systems, I haven't found one that sounds right for me. I think I need to look at it from a different viewpoint. I need to really think about what sizes I don't use, and stop saving those sizes. I think that's my best bet of finding what works for me, and what doesn't!

It's a little off topic, but not much. Here are a couple other things that work for me.


When I got my new Janome M7, the first thing I did was add a 3M Command hook to hold my scissors. My M7 came with a stylus (the white thing that looks like a pencil, if you aren't sure what one is) The stylus is for the touch screen, and although my finger works some of the time, the stylus does work better, especially if I have to touch a smaller area of the screen. I was trying to figure out where I was going to keep the stylus where I wouldn't keep knocking it onto the floor and I remembered the plastic things I bought to hold my charger cords at a better level. I bought this package and the square ones that hold two cords were just the right size to hold my stylus. It's tight enough to not fall out, but easy to remove. If any of you have a machine with a stylus that you've been having a hard time keeping track of, maybe that will work for you!

1 comment:

Elle said...

I am so with you on scrap systems. When I first learned of Bonnie Hunter, I started cutting strips every time I pulled fabric for a quilt. AND THEY SAT in their bin. Ugh. (I eventually did use them but did stop with that nonsense).

What we call a scrap, drives the system needed.

Mine: If it's larger than a 5" square, I put it back in my stash which is fabric stacks mostly by color. Then when I pull that color for a project, the smallest pieces are on top and likely to get used. If it's smaller than 5", I cut into squares 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3, 3.5 and those are kept in large pencil boxes. I'll choose a size and sew pairs for awhile as my Leader/Ender and later select a pattern and continue the L/E use of those squares. Each year I focus on 1 box to get empty. WOF ends or partial strips will get trimmed to a strip 2.5, 2 or 1.5 and put in a strip box. These I also incorporate into those L/E projects.

The great thing is, that you've identified what DOESN'T work for you and you are methodically rectifying that!

Cheers and Happy Quilting! :-)