Thursday, April 15, 2021

Full Steam Ahead

 I'm feeling much better, and even better than that is seeing some things in the sewing room come together. 



I finished the second I Spy quilt, a whole month BEFORE Mr. T's birthday!

 
This is the third quilt top I've made from these log cabin blocks, but they are all gone now. This is another twin sized quilt. It's hanging in the quilt closet now, awaiting it's turn in the quilting queue, along with the TWO other quilt tops I finished this week.


I'm really pleased with this quilt top, for several reasons. The 2" four patches were cut offs from the girly quillows I made. Rather than let those leftovers sit around for ages, I got them sewn up pretty quickly. The alternate squares are leftovers from a wide backing. I cut all the scraps from the wide back into squares, and I only have a dozen squares left, so it worked out really well. The outer border worked out well too. When I was auditioning fabric I had three contenders. When I pulled the fabric off the mini bolt to see how much I had, I realized I this paisley was just shy of 15" wide, but four yards long. I know I used it for borders on another quilt, but how I ended up with such a long piece I don't know. I do like to cut borders length of grain when possible, but I know I haven't made any four yard long quilts, so that's a bit of a mystery. I determined the width of the border with fabric annihilation in mind. 


This is all that's left of that fabric, except for the one four yard long skinny piece I tossed in with the black strings. 

Today I sewed the borders onto the sunflower quilt.



This is one of my favorite quilts ever. It started out just because I didn't want to put the weird shapes of sunflower fabric back in my stash, and really turned into something special. This photo absolutely doesn't do it justice. Once its quilted I'll have DH take it outside and have him take some photos. 

If all that weren't enough, I also finished quilting another quillow, the last of the ones I was supposed to finish before Christmas. It's late enough now, that I decided to save it for Christmas 2021 instead. I've started making the quillow pocket, and hopefully I'll finish the quillow entirely tomorrow. 

I also got a top assembled for another weighted blanket, and next week that's my goal, to get at least two weighted blankets finished. One of the weighted blankets has been ready to sew the channels for a year! Making weighted blankets is hard on my arm, so I don't really like making them. I'm determined to sew weighted blankets until I'm out of pellets, then I'm so done. Now that discount stores are selling them, you can buy one ready made cheaper than I can make one. I think I might have enough pellets for four weighted blankets, so I'll be working on a couple more tops for those next week as well. I want those off my to do list for good!


2 comments:

swooze said...

I adore your sunflower quilt!! Wow!!

Katie Z. said...

I had to order pellets this past week... my nephew is heading off to college, and I agreed to make him a weighted blanket. I am not fond of making them either.