Friday, April 9, 2021

Gingersnap Week

 I don't know if any of you have the same connection to gingersnaps I have, or if this really seems out there. When my kids were little, they all were prone to motion sickness. It was like a motion sick switch turned on when they hit 18 months or so, and from then on travelling was an adventure. I struggle with motion sickness too, especially when pregnant, so since I had 5 kids in six years, a lot of the time we had several of us sick at once. Dramamine never worked for my kids, and although Bonine did, they couldn't have it until they turned six. When researching natural nausea remedies, I came across gingersnaps, and that worked for all of us. I always had gingersnaps in the car, and it was the only time my kids had carte blanche to eat as many cookies as they wanted. Pro tip- Ziploc bags are your friend for motion sickness.

I tried giving the kids gingersnaps for a stomach bug, and it worked for that too, so rare was the time I didn't have gingersnaps in the house. I remember one year a nasty stomach bug was going through DH's place of work, and he lovingly brought it home to us. I brought out the gingersnaps and we made it through. His workmates kept talking about how their families couldn't keep anything down, and DH told them to give them gingersnaps. They were like, "My family keeps vomiting and you want me to give them cookies?" DH assured them that was exactly what he recommended, and it worked. We've turned a lot of people onto that trick over the years. 

Well, my kids are grown and have families of their own, and DH is gluten free now, so we don't keep gingersnaps in the house anymore. I caught a nasty stomach bug though, and after a day of really feeling nasty, I finally sent DH out for my old friend. 


I actually prefer the ones in the brown bag, but he couldn't find those. That's ok, this is eating cookies for medicinal purposes, and I can indeed keep them down. Not spending all my time in the bathroom for one reason or another is a good thing. It's really been a lousy week. 

Before the stomach bug hit, I started quilting on the second I Spy quilt. Today I felt well enough to quilt a bit more. I've got it halfway quilted now. I think that's all the sewing I have in me for today though. I have some quilt rows that need to be pressed, but I'm not feeling like that's something I want to tackle. Being sick is easier without a houseful of children to care for while you are sick, but it's still not much fun. 

Is there a quilt pattern called Gingersnaps? If so, I should make it for a sick quilt. I did go straight for a quilt in every room I was in. Nothing, not even gingersnaps, gives quite as much comfort as a quilt when you are sick. 

I'm definitely on the mend, so hopefully next week will be more productive, and require fewer gingersnaps. 

1 comment:

swooze said...

Hang in there! Hope you’re feeling better soon.