Thursday, May 20, 2021

Flirting with Procrastination

 Have I been procrastinating? Sort of. I say I've been flirting with procrastination, because I have been getting some stuff done, just not as much as I COULD be getting done. 



I did get one of the needed weighted blankets finished. I've had this top done for over a year, so definitely procrastination was going on with that project. For that matter, I've been slow going on all the weighted blankets, because I'm really not a fan of making them. It hurts my arm so much to make them, that I end up having to ice my arm, and it's hard to get myself psyched up to do something I know I'm going to pay a physical price for. Stuffing the first half isn't too bad, it's the second half that gets me. 

I'm sewing the vertical channels in another weighted blanket today. Honestly, I had time earlier in the week, I could have had a second weighted blanket finished by now, but I didn't do it. 

Ah, but what DID I do this week besides this weighted blanket. I basted one of the wedding quilts I need to finish. See, I'm already putting those pins back to work!

I fussy cut 177 2.5" squares, which is really a lot when you know I'm not fan of fussy cutting. The pattern I'm making I've made before and never done any fussy cutting for it, it's originally a scrap quilt, but this time I'm making it a themed quilt and I needed to fussy cut the small squares to make it look the best. I also got the rest of that quilt cut, well, as much as I could. I needed 20 different superhero fabrics, and I only had 19. I thought I had some Thor fabric left from another project, but I didn't. Also, two of the fabrics I had are too similar, so since I needed to order a couple fat quarters, I ordered three more, and I can choose the best 20 of the now 22 superhero fabrics. Most of those fabrics I only had a fat quarter. If I only had a fat quarter, I cut the whole fat quarter up. I need 10.5" squares and 2.5" squares for the wedding quilt. I think I have enough 10.5" squares left to make a smaller version of the wedding quilt, but it may have repeats. I cut some extra 2.5" squares, but not enough for the smaller quilt. Once I get the last couple fat quarters, I can see how large I can make the second quilt. 

You can only get two 10.5" squares from a fat quarter, so besides cutting some 2.5" squares, I also cut some 6.5" squares. That is the size square I usually use for I Spy quilts, and I have several patterns I routinely use for themed squares that size. I never put less than a fat quarter back into my regular stash, so cutting the extra bits into sizes I can use, and still take advantage of the novelty fabric is a good plan for me. I did have more than a fat quarter of some fabrics, so the extra of those I kept together in a bundle, and I'll go into that when I get around to making more superhero quilts. I figured those would be great donation quilts, and popular with kids and teens. 

I have several projects I need to do, and even more that I want to do. When I'm feeling procrastination trying to derail me, I try to stick with an "As long as I'm doing something, and making progress on some project, even if it's not what I should be working on, that's OK". I've found that forcing myself to work on something I don't want to work on really backfires in the end. 

To give myself a break from doing all that fussy cutting, I cut all the pieces I needed for another quilt that was really easy cutting. That got me to not only finish the fussy cutting, but now I've got another quilt well on it's way too. 

This morning I realized part of the reason I've been having a hard time getting myself to finish the other weighted blankets is because I haven't been doing any piecing in the last couple weeks, and piecing is my favorite part of quilting! 


I put this quilt up on the design wall, and now I'll work on assembling it (with sashing, but the sashing wouldn't fit on the design wall with the blocks) I assembled the bottom row, (which was on the floor because this will be a king sized quilt) and after doing a bit of piecing, and making a couple blocks as leaders/enders while assembling the bottom row, I was ready to tackle another weighted blanket. I got the sides sewn, turned it right side out and topstitched the edges. I pinned it so it's ready to sew the vertical channels as soon as I finish blogging. It only took assembling one row and making three nine patches for me to get a piecing fix and an improved attitude. 

I am so thankful I have the space to have more than one sewing machine set up. I keep my vintage Singer 201 always set up for piecing, so no matter what other projects I've got going on, I can always steal a few minutes of piecing time with minimal fuss. What I don't know is why I hadn't done that in the past couple weeks, because it likely would have helped my attitude all along. 

I have a little project I have to finish before Sunday. DH finished the doll cradle for Miss E, and it came out fantastic!



I love the mixture of woods he used, and I'm so happy for him it came out so well. Woodworking is something he's always wanted to get into, but was always thinking his projects wouldn't come out like he pictured them in his head. I get it, sometimes making a quilt is the same way, especially when you're learning a new skill. Miss E turns three on Saturday, and we are having her birthday party here on Sunday. I've got to make a mattress and pillow for the doll cradle before then, and it's already Thursday! Since I just made those same items for Miss X, I know I can get it done in an hour or so, so I'm not too worried. Miss E already has a doll quilt, so that I don't have to make!

What's your strategy for procrastination? Sometimes I resort to using a timer to get me past something I don't want to do, but this time I didn't have to. Giving myself some time to work on some easier stuff was all it took this time around. 






1 comment:

swooze said...

I need motivation! Maybe a timer is what I should try. I’ve been decluttering and feel blocked. More like tired of it!