Thursday, May 27, 2021

We Now Interrupt This Interruption...

I don't feel like I have too much craziness going on, but I do have several things going on that's interrupting my routine. DH and I were talking about how as we age, we are finding it harder to get back to normal after an interruption. I don't really think of myself as that old, 50's are the new 40's, right? I think more than age it's the fact we are empty nesters now, so by default our lives are a little slower, and we aren't interrupted as often as before, so we're losing our ability to deal with distractions.   

Today I should have time to sew, but over the next couple weeks I likely won't have much sewing time. 


I did get the mattress and pillow made for the doll cradle DH made for Miss E. This fabric was from my mom's stash, and she actually used this fabric to make the doll cradle mattress and pillow for my doll cradle when my girls were little. When I gave DD#1 the option of three fabrics to choose from for Miss E's cradle accessories she automatically went for that one, since she remembered it from her childhood. 



Another weighted blanket is finished. I had hoped to be out of pellets by the end of May, and that's not the case. I did finish the top to another weighted blanket yesterday, and I hope to sew all the channels in it today, so if I have any time next week I can start filling it. I'll still have pellets left after that one too, since I had to order more white pellets. The dryer sheets did calm the black pellets down, and I actually used them in this weighted blanket. The fabrics were dark enough to not have the black show through, and I opted for a black backing so I could use them. The last weighted blanket I made was too light to work with the black pellets, I did a trial and you could see the pellets through more than one of the fabrics in that one. This top passed the trial. It was still harder to shake the black pellets down into the blanket since they are so small, it was easier for them to get stuck on the seams. 


I made three drawstring bags out of scooter fabric for DH. He publishes a small scooter magazine, besides being a full time RN. He has a business trip coming up for the magazine, and he's donating prizes for a raffle at a scooter event. I made the bags for him to put the prizes in.

I need to make new scrub tops for DH, several he currently has should be "retired". I've been looking for Godzilla fabric for years, but most that I've seen that said Godzilla fabric just look like cartoon dinosaurs. DH loves Godzilla, and I knew he'd love a scrub top with the right fabric. I was looking for something else on ebay, and on a whim I looked up Godzilla fabric.


It's perfect! The seller was in India, but the fabric got here in just over a week, which was fantastic! Next week my main "sewing" goal is to cut out several scrub tops for DH. I haven't made him any in at least four years, and I've got a stack of fabric collected for just that purpose. I'm hoping to have a couple finished before Father's Day, but we'll see. 

I also received the extra superhero fabric I needed for a wedding quilt. 


I decided to add some unexpected superheroes. I love that "Saving the day one day at a time" Good advice, taking each day and disaster as they come. I only bought a fat quarter of this, but I might see if I can find yardage of it, it would make great pajama pants. 

Now the superhero themed wedding quilt is all cut out and ready to sew. I was unsure of the wedding date, and now that I know, I also know this quilt will be late. The wedding quilt I need for July is basted, so I'm thinking I should get that one done without a problem. The third wedding quilt I need this year is cut out but not started. The wedding date had been in December, but it's been moved up to September. I'm going to try it get it done on time, and hopefully I will. It's a king sized quilt, but an easy pattern. Assembling and quilting it will be harder than making the blocks. 

I didn't get any basting done this week, but with so many interruptions, I did OK.




No comments: