Thursday, May 2, 2024

Too Many Projects = Too Little Finished

I'm not trying to start too many projects. I'm actually trying to finish projects already started. I've had a quilt jump the queue, so now I'm having to start a project I had slated to begin in July. 

I'm showing my age here, but having a baby shower 3 months before baby is due seems super early to me. I thought I'd be able to wait until after the two quilts due in July were finished before making this baby quilt, but now I need to have it done this month. It's just a baby quilt, and I know it can get it done on time, it's just throwing me off. 


I had been working on the pieced sashing and cornerstones for one of the July quilts. 



I had been using the hashtag blocks as leaders/enders while piecing the sashing for the deadline quilt. Those extra strips alongside the purple background hashtag blocks are for the border, I've got a similar stack with the gold blocks. I have the hashtag blocks done for two throws, but I've got three more quilts worth of blocks to sew up, then I need to cut sashing and borders for all the quilts. All the hashtag quilts are for donation, so no hurry on those. 

Now that the baby quilt has jumped the queue, I started cutting it out.


I've got three 6" side big hexies, along with a bunch of 6" side equilateral triangles. 


I also cut a bunch of 3" side equilateral triangles so I could piece some of the larger triangles. I'm using one panel and six solids to make the quilt top. These are the nursery colors, so please, no comments on my color choices. I'm trying to match the parents taste, and their opinions are the only ones that matter. From what I've counted up so far, I need a few more large triangles, and I think I can cut enough from one WOF strip. I don't want any more black or gold, so I can cut the extra triangles from sage green, olive green, tan, or rust. I haven't decided which color to cut more of, opinions on that are welcome ;-)

I cut out some burp rags to get sewn up as well. Neither the burp rags nor the baby quilt should take all that long, so barring a big disruption, I should be able to get them all done before the baby shower. 

I'll definitely need to put the baby quilt up on the design wall, but right now, my design wall looks like this...


I'll be adding sashing and cornerstones to all of these blocks, but for right now I'm thinking to just sew them into columns with sashing just to get them off the design wall. I'm thinking to keep using my projects as leaders/enders for each other until I get them all into quilt tops. As long as I label my columns, I can put those back on the design wall later so I can choose which cornerstones go where. I'm not going to want identical squares touching. The sashing will all be purple so making the columns is easy. I also have all the sashing cut, but not all the cornerstones. 

As you can see, I'm piecing a bunch of projects right now. How about FMQ? Well, I've finished quilting one quilt, but it needs binding. I decided to quilt the next one with the same color thread, so instead of binding that quilt I just switched to FMQ the next. If I have enough thread left, I actually could use the same thread to FMQ another quilt that's basted and ready to go. I am getting in that hour of FMQ almost every day, but I've not finished a quilt. If I quilt all three with the same thread, I might not have a finish for a couple more weeks, but then I'll have three rapid fire finishes once they are all bound. We'll see how it works out, because once the baby quilt top is done it gets quilting priority. All of the quilts I'm quilting right now will be donation quilts, so putting off binding isn't that big of a deal. I have three deadline quilts I need to finish in the next couple months, so working on those comes first, but I'll quilt what I can in between. 

In between sewing times, I've been getting lots of pics from DD#1 and DD#2. DD#1 is a homesteader that is a certified breeder of Meishan pigs which are endangered. Their first litters were born recently, so I've been getting all kinds of cute piglet pics.




I'm not sure if any homesteaders read my blog or not, but if having pigs that look kind of like Eeyore from Winnie the Pooh interest you, you can contact my daughter through her website.

DD#2 just got a new dog, which I'll be dogsitting in a couple weeks. I keep getting anecdotes on how the new addition is fitting in with the older dog and two kids. 


The corgi is 8 years old, and the pound guessed the new dog was 11 months. The dogs sleeping this close together was a win! They were really unsure what to think of each other at first.

Overall, this week has felt like I'm running in place. I'm really busy,  but getting nothing finished. I have done a lot this week, so I know progress is being made. I'll take it! 



No comments: