Thursday, June 20, 2024

Janome is Back Better Than Ever!

 My Janome is back from servicing and is quieter than it's ever been, even straight out of the box it was louder. It's stitching great too! Unfortunately, my FMQ foot came back bent, and when I tried to straighten it broke. Yes, I know I could argue with the shop to get them to replace it, but I really don't like dealing with that sewing machine shop, so it was worth it to me to pay $25 for a new foot and not have to argue with them. Did I buy the new presser foot from them? Nope, I only deal with that shop when I have no other options. At least my machine was fixed well, unlike the last time I had them work on a different sewing machine. It it wasn't over 100 miles to a different dealer, I would never deal with this local shop. The local shop I got my Bernina at is fantastic, but this other shop, although they have a lot of people who like them, consistently is a miss for me. They do have a new repairman, and he seems to be much better than the last one, so yeah for that! 

Now that my Janome is back and sewing well, I quilted one of the July deadline quilts, and I've started quilting the second one. Both quilts have the same background color and backing fabric, so I'm quilting both with the same color thread, and I'll bind them the same too. The grandkids they are for share a bedroom, so I wanted them different, but similar. I used different patterns, but the same fabrics. I'll bind them both after the quilting is done on both. 

I still haven't tackled that paper pieced block for the murder mystery. I did finish the black/cool colored log cabin blocks. I'm still piecing the piano key border for the rounded four patch quilt. 


I got this quilting magazine in the mail, and I LOVED the cover quilt! I liked it so well, I've cut out two of them, except for the setting triangles since it's an on point setting. The instructions gave two methods of cutting, one using the Accuquilt, and one using rotary cutter methods. I have the correct sized dies, so I could have used the die cutting instructions, BUT I wanted to use a jelly roll for the colored bits instead of yardage. The quilt is just lap sized, and I've got some Christmas projects I'm starting to cut out. I thought I might have enough of the jelly roll left to work with one of my Christmas projects. 


Here are the pieces I cut for the lap quilt. I used the Companion Angle ruler to cut the colored triangles, and I used the EZ Angle ruler to cut the smaller triangles. I have just enough of the navy blender left from the Marshall Dry Goods box to cut the setting triangles. 



I cut up the rest of the jelly roll to use up every bit of fabric, and I combined it with the navy vineyard tonal from the Marshall Dry Goods box. I've only got about 1/2 yard of the tonal left, so I'm hoping I have enough for the project. If not, I'll likely just mix in a different navy. I've got pieces for Flying Geese, HST's and squares, and I plan on using all of those in a Christmas Gift for one of my granddaughters. That worked out so well, I decided to do the same with another jelly roll, so I could get a quilt and a gift for another granddaughter. 


 The other granddaughter likes yellow best, so I grabbed a yellow from stash to be be background for her project, but I used one of the WOW fabrics from the Marshall Dry Goods box to be the quilt background for the second quilt. I have more granddaughters, but only the two sisters are getting the same project. 

I'll be dog sitting for the next nine days, and one of the dogs is a puppy so I need to keep an eye on her. I moved my Bernina up to the living room, in hopes I'll be able to get some sewing done. I grabbed a light colored thread, so I'll be working on sewing up units from the box above, and if I finish those,  I also grabbed the red/cream log cabin project.


I like to cut my log cabin logs to size, and I've found that silverware dividers work great to organize the pieces! I use drawer organizers a lot in quilting, and rather than pay full price, I usually pick them up at thrift shops like Goodwill. 

My biggest accomplishment of the week had nothing to do with sewing! I finally dug out a huge box of paperwork from the back of the closet, and got out all the paperwork that hadn't made it to the closet yet. I shredded everything I could, organized what needed to be kept, and found a better place to store the little that remained! That was a huge decluttering job tackled and finished. I'm better about not letting paperwork pile up now, so I think it should never get that bad again. Now if I can just get myself to tackle the photographs...


No comments: