Wednesday, October 16, 2024

Finish #33, Comets, and Scrap Processing


 Finish #33 of 2024 is complete! If it looks familiar, there is a good reason for that. Last year, I got a bundle of 20 solid fat quarters in soft rainbow colors. I added 20 floral fat quarters from stash, matching each of the solids as closely as I could. I needed a quilt really quickly for someone on hospice, so I cut all 40 fat quarters into 8.5" strips, 6.5" strips, and 2" strips. I used my large EZ Angle ruler to cut the 8.5" and 6.5" strips into HST's. I used the 8" HST's for the quilt I needed for the woman in hospice. I laid her quilt our just like I did this one, it was just a bit bigger. I finished that quilt in just a couple of days. When it was finished, I made this quilt top from the 6" HST's, but it was put into the quilt closet, because I had no immediate need for it. I cut all the scraps into 2x3.5" pieces and made a simple rail fence quilt, I had just enough to make a baby quilt, which I have already finished. Those three quilts busted all of the 40 fat quarters. 

DH and I went on an evening drive this week, about halfway up the mountain our house faces. We stopped at a rest area that has a great view of the city, and is one of our favorite places to watch the sunset. 


The sunset had a very layered look that night. I didn't alter the color on this photo at all. A sunset wasn't all we were looking for that night though. We were hoping to see Tsuchinshan-ATLAS, a comet that won't come around again in our lifetime. 



I'm not much of a photographer, and these pics were just taken with my iPhone, but I was sure blessed to be able to see it! Sometimes remembering to take the time to wonder at the universe we live in is hard to do, but I'm glad we did take that drive.



I finished processing the fabric scraps I was given, with one exception. I have one small bin with denim scraps I haven't touched yet. Some of these scraps were actually mine, but only the ones I had in bins in the living room for whatever reason. I still have a lot of fabric scraps I need to deal with of my own, but getting these processed into usable sizes was still a win. I've now got three empty bins in my small nine cube storage unit I have in the living room, which is a huge win. One bin is crumbs, and one bin is strings. I don't have another spot for crumbs, but I can empty the string bin into my cube unit downstairs that is all strings. All of these pre-cut sizes have a place to live, and some of them are even put away now. 


I used to feel bad about throwing any scraps away, but the only bits in this bag are too small for me to ever use, and I use some really small stuff! I felt pretty good about tossing this bag of fabric bits, knowing it's that much that I would never use anyway, but now I'm not having to store it. It's funny how freeing it is to understand that an almost full grocery bag of scraps left my house, and it was really down to the unusable. Pre-cutting my scraps works for me, if I'm making a quilt with sizes I keep, I automatically go to my scrap stash first. I often have a quilt in mind when I'm cutting up scraps, but if I don't, I cut to my most often used sizes. 

I'm just starting on my Christmas sewing. I'm making two throw quilts for Christmas, and I've got both quilt tops finished and basted. I started FMQ one of those this morning. As soon as I finish this blog post, I'll be prepping pillowcases to sew up for the grands. Christmas sewing is now my priority, and hopefully I'll get it all done with a minimal amount of stress. 

No comments: