Thursday, April 2, 2020

The Longarm's Back in Town!


My longarm is back, and I just quilted a little on the quilt it acted up on. So far so good, but I only quilted about half a block. Now I can go back to my FMQ an hour a day, and if all goes well, I can knock a few UFO's off my list in the next few months. 


I already made about 50 masks, but those are almost gone, so here's another 45 prepped and ready to go. I saw a news conference that mentioned after the quarantine ends, people may be asked to wear face masks in public, so soon everyone may need them. After this I could probably make about 50 more masks with the supplies I have on hand, but I'll run out of wire first. I've been using a non woven interfacing for a middle layer, and I'll run out of the one I've been using soon, but I have another brand on hand I could switch to. I had no idea when I bough a bolt of interfacing last year that I'd be using it for face masks!

I had something funny happen about face masks. In one of my facebook quilting groups someone asked is anyone had a 10" square of smiley face fabric. She didn't mention why she needed it. I actually have a piece of yardage with smiley faces, so after a few private messages, I sent a WOF piece on it's way. I ended up finding out she was making face masks for a nursing friend of hers. I was glad I sent more fabric than she asked for, and she sent me a photo of the masks she made with it! 

DH is on vacation this week, and since Covid-19 wrecked our travel plans, we've just been at home. I had ordered two dressers a while back to replace the purple plastic drawers I had. DH finally had time to assemble the dressers so now instead of plastic drawers holding my fat quarter- 1 yard fabrics I have these dressers.



I could have gotten taller dressers, but I opted for counter height ones, so I could use the tops as another work surface if I needed to. The 8 drawers in these dressers couldn't hold all the fabric from the 24 plastic drawers I'm getting rid of, but with some shifting of other things in my sewing room, I did manage to empty all 24 plastic drawers. For now my blacks and neutrals are being stored elsewhere, but I was still happy I could consolidate stuff and make it work. I've been debating busting a bunch of novelty prints by making a bunch of pillowcases, and if I do that, I could likely move at least the blacks into the dressers, if not the blacks and neutrals. 

I've got two baby girl quilts to make, and now that I've talked to the moms about what they want, I've got a couple ideas mulling around in my brain. I need to get as many face masks as I'm going to make finished, so I can get back to quilting!



No comments: