Thursday, September 2, 2021

Vacuuming the Clothes Dryer

 My plan to work on non-quilting projects on the weekends is going pretty well. The stack of burp rag pieces that have been on my fabric counter for months, are now all sewn into burp rags, I clipped the edges, washed and dried them twice to get the edges to rag nicely, and now they are stacked up in the gift closet. 


I never counted how many pieces I had cut, I was just cutting up all the flannel I had that was too small to back a baby quilt. If it was too small to cut a burp rag, I cut 4.5" squares, and if it was too small for that, I tossed it guilt free! I ended up with 60 burp rags, which will be several baby gifts ready to go. The flannel made such a mess in the washer and dryer, I got out the vacuum and the crevice tool and vacuumed the washer and dryer after each load. With that much lint in the dryer I figured it could be a fire hazard, so I used the crevice tool to get down into the area below the lint filter. Now the only flannel in the house is either yardage large enough to back at least a baby quilt, or 4.5" squares. Everything between those two sizes is now burp rags. I found I liked using four layers of flannel best for the burp rags. If I only had one or two of a pattern I usually used it for the middle layers. 

I've been FMQ my hour per day, but I'm not finished the wedding quilt yet. I think I can get it done in two more hours of quilting. Even with a concentrated effort it takes a while to quilt a king sized quilt on a domestic machine. 

After my hour of FMQ on the weekdays, I've been all over the place on quilting projects. 


This is folded into fourths for the photo, but I've got the center of this quilt done. It's getting three borders, one of which is pieced, so still a ways to go on this.  




I made this quilt about three years ago, a wedding gift for one of my nieces. I had a full extra strip set left over, as well as part of another. It was too much to make something like a pillow, but not automatically enough to make a quilt. I stumbled upon a photo of a bargello quilt with black strips between the strip sets, and realized that could be the perfect project  for the leftover stripsets I had. 


All the black strips are the same width, though because the other strips aren't the same width, your eyes may trick you into thinking the black ones are different too. The second quilt is pretty tall and skinny at this point, but thankfully I had packed the stripsets away with any extra fabric I had. Since I bought the fabrics specifically for my nieces bargello quilt, I had very little leftover, except for the border fabric. I don't have a ton of the original border fabric left, but enough to have a plan on how to use it to make the quilt wider. I've got an idea to make a pieced border for just the sides, then I'll add a narrow black border all the way around. I think it will have much more balanced dimensions then. Sometimes a scrap quilt doesn't end up looking like one!

So it looks like I'll be working on borders, and my weekend project is to stuff the weighted blanket that's ready to fill. Hopefully I'll be binding that wedding quilt soon too! It's about 80% quilted now. DH has a four day weekend this weekend, so I'm not sure how much quilting time I'll actually have. I know he has some plans, so likely more time than I think. Once I get the current wedding quilt finished, I'll switch over to piecing the last wedding quilt for this year. It's not as large, nor as many pieces, so I don't think it will take a very long time to piece. 





No comments: