Wednesday, February 22, 2023

Color Placement

 I'm often playing around with color placement, and I look for different options on color placement in photos online and in magazine. I've noticed there are blocks called different things, but the only thing really different is the color placement. 

There are some patterns I make over and over and over again.


This is a good example of one of my go-to patterns. I love how the secondary pattern occurs when you put the blocks together. 

When I was cutting up my 3.5" strips, I decided to play around with that, and instead of using a background, I'd just use two contrasting colors in each block.


I'll be making three throws from the blocks I made. This one had mostly autumn colors in it. You really can't see the secondary pattern at all. Even though it doesn't look like the first quilt at all, I don't dislike it. It still has a modern-ish feel to it, and I like that it is all scraps, with no yardage being used at all. That being said, if I had known how it would come out, I would have used a different construction method that would have been much faster. 


Here's the second throw. All of these blocks have blue in them. It has a bit of secondary pattern showing, but nothing as striking as the first one I made last year. Again, the fact it was all scraps is a plus, but I could have used the easier construction method. 

Both of those are sewn into quilt tops, neither will be getting borders. The third one isn't sewn up yet, because I had an odd number of blocks, so I'll be making a few more blocks to have it come out a good size. That's not on my immediate to do list, I'll probably just work on those blocks as I'm processing scraps from other projects, since I've already cut up all my 3.5" strips. 

I do have another quilt I will working on soon with the same pattern. It will be closer to the first quilt, the background is scrappy creams, and the main pattern will be scrappy autumn colors. It will give me a chance to use all scraps, but in a much more controlled background. Since this next one will be all scrappy, using the all HST method I used in all the quilts above makes sense. 

I've been crazy busy, trying to clean up my sewing spaces. Here's some of my progress. 


The ironing station is usable! My Studio cutter isn't buried anymore either, a huge win there! 


Yeah, there is still stuff stacked on the countertop under the window, but I hadn't seen any of the countertop in about a year, so it's actually much better. 


Again, still a bunch of stuff on my dressers that store fat quarter- 1yard fabrics, but there's no long a risk of avalanche. 

Am I done? Nope, far from it, but it's better, and that's where I want to be headed, towards better!  

No comments: