Friday, February 10, 2023

Two More Finishes

My sewing room is seeing a lot of action these days. I finished the two memory quilts I was making.



I only had seven shirts for each quilt. Some shirts had stuff both front and back, so that helped, but I still had to add quite a bit. I used some novelty fabrics that reflected the grandfather's interests to get the quilts up to a throw size. I was worried about quilting the baseball jersey on the bottom quilt, but as long as I took it slow and kept smoothing the fabric so it didn't stretch, all was well. 

Now I'm working on the last of memory items, some pillows. Once those are done, that huge memory project is off my to do list! 

I have some other pillow shams I need to make too, so those will be next after the memory ones. 

The baby quilt I needed is quilted, but I've not trimmed or bound it yet. It's funny, I've been trying to baste a quilt every other day or so, but since I've already quilted three of them, my pile of basted quilts is not going up very quickly. I think I've got four stacked up right now. My arm can use a bit of break, so quilting pillow shams is a good use of my quilting time over the next week or so. Small projects put a lot less stress on my arm. 

The Ruby Jubilee mystery quilt is coming along. Two more seams and the center is done. I'd like to get a few more quilt tops assembled in February, and at least a couple more quilts basted. Besides the pillow shams I doubt I'll quilt any more this month. I've got a lot going on and something's got to give. If I have several quilts basted than I can jump right back into my FMQ an hour per day as soon as things calm down. I decided the quilts I was going to make for birthdays will be for Christmas instead, which gives me some extra time. As far as I know I don't need any wedding quilts this year, so that's helpful. 

I've been trying to spend some time cleaning up as I can. I'm just so tired of my sewing and fabric rooms looking like such a disaster! I don't want to just shove things in closets though, I want to really deal with what I have, and a lot of that is prioritizing what I will work on. If I get all the pillow shams done, it gets a bunch of pieces and pillow forms out of my space, but compared to sewing a quilt start to finish isn't that time consuming. Sometimes knocking several short projects off the list is a good way to jumpstart things. 

Maybe next week I'll have more photos! 

No comments: