Tuesday, September 8, 2026

Ignoring the Deadlines

There's a lot going on for us. Between caring for elderly parents on opposite sides of the country from each other, and the ridiculous amount of repairs we've had to deal with since we've been home (Can I just get a break from all the breaking, please???) we're a bit stressed. Sometimes I am super productive when I'm stressed, BUT, when I'm stressed, I rarely work on what I should be working on. Of course, when things get to the point with the elderly where you are having the really hard decisions like hospice or long term care options, it's really heavy. 

DH is hosting a scooter rally in October. I should be working on stuff for that. OK, I did get some bags cut out, but haven't sewn a stitch. I had ideas for Christmas gifts, some involved, some really easy. Have I sewn on those? Sort of, I started working on one quilt. Mostly it's a big fat NO. 

So what have I been working on? Well, I am mostly doing my one hour of quilting per day, so I am seeing some finishes, but none of these are deadline projects. I mostly just wanted to piece easy stuff. 


Before I left on that big trip, I had cut out all these blocks from my Civil War fabrics. Are these deadline projects? That would be a no. I have other blocks cut that are nice and neat in project boxes, so I left those alone, but when I came home and saw this big bag, I just thought how nice it would be to have these blocks sewn up. There are enough blocks cut in that bag for at least 3 quilts. I know I cut enough for the Trail Mix quilt I want to make, plus I cut enough uneven nine patch blocks to make another quilt, and I know I cut extra of each of the blocks for Trail Mix so I could pick and choose which blocks I wanted to use, so I'll likely have a second Trail Mix inspired quilt from the leftovers. I do have some leftover bits and strips of Civil War fabric, so depending on what blocks are left after making the two main quilts I have planned, I can either use the extra bits to make more 6" blocks, or evaluate how many strips I have left, and possibly start something else entirely. Any way I do it, I'll be busting my Civil War fabric which is the goal. 


Here are my piles of 6" blocks so far. I have a couple dozen not shown that need to be pressed, and only about a dozen left to sew. That Missouri Star bag is empty now that I'm down to the last dozen blocks, I've just got them next to my sewing machine. 

Am I the only one who ignores deadline stuff when stressed? Please tell me I'm not. I think it's a matter of wanting my sewing to help me de-stress, when deadlines can stress me out when I'm already stressed. When my stress levels are normal, I actually do really well with deadlines. In this case, the Trail Mix quilt has been on my want to make list for years now, and taking the time to sew up something I've wanted to make for years makes me happy. Will I be more stressed later because I'm doing this first? Maybe, but that's a problem for another day. For now, I'll just work on what I can handle working on, and if everyone on my Christmas list gets money this year, that's OK too. At least with cash I'm never guessing at the size 😉

No comments: