Sunday, May 10, 2009

What's this?


     Here is what I've been working on this weekend. I got the rest of the scrappy binding I was making done. I ended up with 13 yards of the wide binding, and 13 yards of the polka dotted. Add to that the 30 yards I already had done, and I've got enough to do several quilts.
     The other thing in the picture is one of my neck/shoulder cherry pit pads. I finally got one filled. It's slow going on that project, because I actually have to sit down long enough to work on it.
      I tried quilting the cat quilt yesterday, but it was an unsuccessful attempt. I spent a total of about 10 minutes quilting and 4 hours ripping it out. My top thread keeps breaking. I switched to a new size 18 denim needle, I loosened the top tension, I rethreaded the machine multiple times (top and bottom), I switched thread to a different brand. I was so frustrated I decided to call it quits for the weekend, and I'll try again tomorrow. Right now, my dampened thread is in a baggie in the freezer. I've heard that sometimes helps. The last quilt I did went perfectly, with no issues, and this one is giving me fits! The only thing that is different is the batting. I am using polyester batting by request, but I don't know if that is causing my problems or not. I'm going to loosen the top tension even more and try that. The top is not tight in the frame, but I might try loosening it more too. I've been scouring the internet looking for troubleshooting tips. I'm going to oil my machine before I start too. That shouldn't be the problem, but I'm trying to cover all my bases. I found the troubleshooting guide at Nolting the most helpful, in case any of the rest of you are having any issues. I don't have a Nolting machine, but the tips seemed pretty universal.
     I had a nice Mother's Day. I got to see four of my kids. DH is still in Ecuador, but he tried to call. The connection was terrible, sounded like he was calling from the jungle or something ;) I figured out 'Happy Mother's Day' and 'I love you', but I was only hearing about a third of what he said. I heard the important stuff, so that's what counts.

No comments: