Tuesday, December 19, 2017

This Quilting Is Being Interrupted for Holiday Festivities

It always happens, I think I'm going to have lots of time to sew, then my schedule fills up with stuff I had no idea was going on.

I did actually have quite a bit of sewing time over the weekend. I finished the quarter of the quilt I showed laid out in my last post. I have since gotten a second quarter sewn into rows. I should have sewing time on Thursday, so maybe I'll get that second quarter sewn up and join it to the first quarter. I see the halfway point coming!

For a lot of quilts, I use two rows of the same quilt as leaders/enders for each other. This Blooming Nine Patch has such a high likelihood of making a mistake, I need to use something else as leaders/enders while I assemble it.

I finished all the little HST nine patches for my scrappy quilt. I can't make those into the bigger blocks until I cut the sashing pieces, so those are set aside for now.


After I finished the HST nine patches, I looked around and saw that I had the sub-units done for Weed Whacker, and I only needed to sew two seams to get each block done. I used these as leaders/enders until I got all of these blocks together.


Next, I laid out one of the wedding quilts I needed to assemble, and I got all of the columns sewn up today as leaders/enders. There will be strips between each column, and I still need to piece the strips together. This is the second quilt I'm hoping to get to quilt top stage by January 1. I think this one will be easy to get together by then, it's the Blooming Nine Patch I'm not sure about. At least I'm almost halfway on the Blooming Nine Patch!

I had some quilt blocks already cut out that I'm using as leaders/enders right now. Assembling a quilt that is 31x31 blocks is quite a bit more complicated than most of the quilts I make. Most of my big quilts are 12x12 blocks. Granted this quilt I'm currently assembling has little 3" blocks, but it's still a lot to wrap my head around, and I am nervous I'll switch something around.

I am determined to only use UFO's as my leaders/enders right now. I don't care if I'm taking units and making those into blocks, or even assembling blocks into quilt tops, but I will not start a new project right now. I have way too much to finish to want to start anything.

Well, that's what I've gotten done the last few days, but the next few days? Tomorrow I'm going to see some of my grandkids in a school performance. Thursday I can sew. Friday I'm babysitting other grandkids. Saturday DH is off and my main job will be to repair a quilt so I can put it on the guest bed. Sunday I'll be going to DD#1's church to see her kids recite, and she and her husband will be singing. Christmas Day I should be able to sew as I wish, since DH is working and no one should be coming over.


Christmas came early for DH. He's been saving for quite a while, but was just a little short to buy a used motorcycle. Instead of me buying him something for Christmas, we agreed to use that money to throw him over what he needed, and now he's one happy rider!

No comments: