Tuesday, May 8, 2018

Sewing Room Progress

I am still working on getting my new sewing space together. It's definitely a work in progress. As my projects change, my storage needs change as well, so I'm looking for flexible storage solutions. I really wanted to get at least one vintage machine set up in the sewing room too, so that's what I've been working on.


I've got the picture my sister did up on the wall now. The quilting leaf is up on my Arrow Quilty cabinet with the longarm. I've got Patsy Thompson's quilt suspension system set up on my cabinet as well. With the repetitive stress injury in my arm, a bit of help handling the weight of a big quilt is a good plan. If you are interested in how the system works, you can click here.


DH assembled the cabinet that came with my Tin Lizzie, but I am repurposing it to hold a vintage machine. If I put the back leaf up, I could set up a second vintage machine on it, because this cabinet is solid as a rock. Tin Lizzie makes a great cabinet, I just preferred the dimensions of the Arrow Quilty cabinet for sit down quilting. Since I'm using both cabinets, I'm not considering it "wasted" money. I need to do a little bit of tweaking to make my Singer 201 fit in it better, but I have a plan! 

Under the window you can see one of the cube storage units I bought yesterday. I really like plastic bins over fabric ones, and Target is the only place I could find with 13" plastic bins. I mixed up the colors, just because I could. They also had blue, but I hate blue, and they had black, but that was harsher looking than what I wanted. 

Right now I only have one chair in my sewing room, but I have the machines set up in a way that makes it easy to move the chair to each cabinet. I may get another chair or two later, but this works. 


I've actually cleared a bit off my green cabinet since the last photo I posted. Obviously, I've been sewing on the Bernina lately. I'm still working on more Town Square blocks from my last post. The cabinet with the mismatched drawers caught a few people's interest, and I got them at Hobby Lobby. I've got thread stored in it. You can see the second cube storage unit I also bought yesterday next to that. I liked that I could set them either horizontally, as with the one under the window, or vertically, like this one. I moved all the free motion quilting books and my quilting magazines to this unit, then I've got three bins for storage. 

I like bins for storage, for several reasons. I can easily change what is stored in the bins as my projects change, plastic bins are my preference over fabric, because I find them easier to get stuff out of, fabric tends to stick to fabric, so getting out a stack of quilt blocks is easier with plastic. Mostly, I like the cleaner look that bins provide. In the middle of a big project, my sewing room does get messy, but I can't function long in chaos. I need a room to look organized, even if I did grab everything off one surface and toss it in a bin. I hate wasting time looking for stuff. I want to know right where it is, and just grab it if I need it. Hunting hours for a seam ripper is not my style. Right now most of my new bins are empty, but as I work in the sewing room, I'll come up with a system that works. 

It looks more crowded in the photos than it is. I can easily navigate my way around the room.  The wall I didn't show will have my design wall, but that's a project for another day. I'm really anxious to have a large design wall. 

I'd like to make both my fabric prep area in the next room, and my sewing room pretty. I've had different sewing rooms over the last few years, and they've always just been practical, but now I want them to be pretty. Eventually, I'd like to make a few quilted wall-hangings, and I have a few things I'd like to buy eventually for the walls. If I'm really lucky, my kids will look at my Amazon wishlist for my birthday in a couple months!

I really enjoy organizing my sewing space, so this is just fun for me. Are you the organized type, or does your sewing space look like a bomb went off?

No comments: