Monday, September 24, 2018

Bargello Busted

I finished the fourth of five overdue wedding quilts today! The bargello quilt is busted; quilted, binding on and DONE! 


I am ready to start quilting the last overdue wedding quilt tomorrow! I do have a nephew getting married in December, and his quilt isn't started yet, but getting the overdue quilts finished was absolutely my priority. It feels so good to be making serious progress on the backlog of quilts. 

Yesterday I ended up cooking dinner for 15. It was a bit unplanned, but worked out fine. We had a good visit with the people who were here. 

DH has been working a ton, they are short-handed at work, so I've been having more days to sew than usual. Even with the quilting by timer restrictions, I'm still getting a LOT accomplished, and I find that very encouraging. 

Sometimes when something is dragging you down, you may realize it, but not how much it's weighing you down. These overdue quilts were a big stresser for me. I hate to be late for anything.  I knew it was bothering me, but I hadn't realized how much that was affecting the non-quilting areas of my life. 

Our treadmill was packed away when we had so many people living here, and then it was in the guest room, which was easy to forget about. I figured I'd be able to get right back into walking on the treadmill once it was moved to my sewing space. The thing is, I still couldn't get myself to do it. It wasn't until I had the last two overdue quilts basted, that my desire to get back on the treadmill came back. I think I had started to feel if I had time to myself, I had to spend it catching up on overdue projects. Now that I can see the light at the end of the quilty tunnel, I'm feeling free to balance my life a bit better, and hopefully in more healthy ways, both physically and mentally. 

Since I've become quite used to FMQ for an hour every morning DH works, I decided to just tack on my treadmill time right after. I literally get up from the longarm when the timer goes off, go straight to the treadmill, and walk for 30 minutes before I take a break. After sitting for an hour straight, it feels pretty good to get my body going right after. When I sew later in the day, I tend to get up pretty frequently anyway, so this is a good system for me, and it's working pretty easily into my schedule. Who knew overdue quilts would affect my desire to exercise? 

Oh, I had some good news this weekend. DS the Younger had been told the box he mailed home after deployment had been lost. It had the Army quilt I made for him in it. Well, nine months later it showed up, just in time for him to be deployed early next year. I told him to make sure he takes the quilt with him, and if it gets lost again, no worries, by the time he returns from the next deployment, I'll have the quilt I started as a replacement finished. 

No comments: