Thursday, September 13, 2018

Long Line of Love

Today is my parent's 60th wedding anniversary! I had hoped to go out to see them for it, but it didn't work out. 



I've been thinking about their anniversary, and it really amazes me with how few couples make it this long. I'm not referring to divorces, but of one of the couple not living this long. I know several couples that I'm sure would have made it to 60 years, but death took one partner before that. I'm not trying to be morbid, just in awe of the blessing this event is. For marriages this long lived, it's not just a matter of choosing to work it out, but being blessed with long lives. With people getting married later and later in life, this will become an ever rarer event. 

As I've been mulling over their anniversary, this song kept coming to mind.



I'm sure my long marriage is partly due to the fact that my parents and my in-laws were examples of happy marriages. THAT is a priceless inheritance!

On a quilty note, I'm in the middle of a basting spree. I've got the two remaining overdue wedding quilts basted, and one of my grandson's quilts. I have another grandson getting a quilt and it is next to be basted. I might have enough pins for one or two more smaller quilts, but I don't have anything matched with a backing, so we'll see. I need to have the basting tables down by Sunday, because I've got company coming. 

I'm not doing much sewing while I'm doing all this basting, but I am assembling a couple quilts. The design walls don't stay empty around here. Just getting a UFO to the next stage is progress, even if it isn't a finish. I won't be doing any cutting until I've finished the basting spree. 

I'm also in a purging mood. I realized I haven't read a paper novel in four years, even though I'm an avid reader. I read everything on my Kindle Paperwhite. Cookbooks and quilt books I want in physical copies, fiction books I'm ready to let go. 

I've been doing some re-organizing in my house too. With this repetitive stress injury lingering, I've realized I can't reach as high as I used to. I've moved heavier objects to the bottom shelves, and put lighter stuff on the second shelves in baskets with handles so I can just pull the whole basket down. So far I'm finding this much easier to use. Work smarter, not harder, right?

No comments: