Thursday, March 7, 2019

Busy Lady

My to do list is very long these days, and never seems to get any shorter, but I have been busy, and I am finishing stuff!

I've got two of my kids coming into town this weekend, and I had two project going for one of them. I needed to make a weighted blanket for one grandson, and finish a quilt for a guest bed. 


Here's the weighted blanket all finished. I heard he snagged his mama's weighted blanket and sleeps with it every night, so I had to make him one so she got hers back. 


Here's the quilt for their guest bed, started last year, so it's a UFO finish! The pattern is Strip Twist by Bonnie Hunter. I love how this quilt looks like it's set on point, but it's not. It's an easy quilt to make. 

I also got the bright version of Allietare into a quilt top.


Here it is folded into fourths. I'll take a better photo once it's quilted. This one has been claimed for my youngest granddaughter, so it will likely go in the next basting spree. The purple background is actually a re-purposed cotton duvet cover. I'm glad I had enough of it left to make a wide border, which helps calm the bright center down a bit. I think I'm going to cut up all of the remaining bits of duvet cover into squares to use for large Flying Geese corners, then use the bonus HST's for a small quilt. I really like to use it all whenever possible. 

I had a big pile of scraps from the last basting spree I hadn't dealt with, and I found some fabrics in a tote that needed to be cut up for my scrap user system as well. Since I have the big Christmas project coming up that will use a lot of scraps from the scrap user system, it's best to deal with all the scraps first, so I have more to choose from.


My original pile of scraps was at least twice this big, maybe even three times as large.


Here is my final result of dealing with the fabrics. The largest pile on the left is for a specific project, and the rest are just normal sizes I save. Why no 1.5" squares? I do save 1.5" squares, and in fact will be using a bunch in the quilt I'm starting next week. I find cutting 1.5" squares from scraps tedious though, so the smallest I'll cut from scraps is a 2" square. Anything smaller gets thrown into a box of crumbs. All of the 1.5" squares I have are left from working with 1.5" strips. If I'm sub-cutting strips anyway, I find it easy to cut the remaining bit into squares if it's a short piece and not likely to be used in anything else. 

I also have a big fling to my sister going on. I had a bunch of poly/cottons I had no plans for, and she had a plan that suited poly/cottons just fine. It just made sense to pass those to her.


Two big totes will be leaving the house this weekend. She's coming to visit since I'll have four of my five kids together for a meal on Saturday. I've actually added to her pile a bit, trying to pass stuff I have no plans for to someone who can use it. 

Yes, I think I've been a pretty busy lady!

No comments: