Thursday, March 28, 2019

Asian-Inspired

I've got all the blocks done for one Asian-inspired wedding quilt. I spent quite a bit of time cutting all the sashing, cornerstones, and setting triangles, but my design wall isn't large enough to put the sashing and setting triangles all up with the blocks. 


There is one setting triangle stuck up on the wall, but basically, the blocks will have all the color, and everything else is solid black. The sashing, cornerstones, setting triangles and border all all just black. I think all the black will really let the Asian fabrics shine. 

I have a couple other Asian-inspired quilts planned. Neither of those will have as much black. I don't have a big stash of Asian-inspired fabrics. I bought a bunch of fat quarters for some specific quilts, and I'm hoping I have enough to make the quilts I wanted to make. If I have any fabric leftover, I'll just incorporate it into my stash.

I rarely store collections of fabrics separately. The main exception to that is 1930's reproduction fabrics. I think only a couple fat quarters and scraps have ever made it into my main stash. I really love 1930's prints, but I don't want a huge stash of them. I like making 30's only quilts, so I have one plastic container with 30's fabrics, it's not even a plastic tote, it's smaller than that. I buy enough to make a project, store it in that bin, and any decent size pieces leftover stay in that bin until I make the next project, which I have to buy for. 

I do have a stack of Civil War reproduction fat eighths set aside to make an English Paper pieced project. I've bought Civil War reproduction fabrics several times, but I've never made a quilt with only Civil War prints. The English paper pieced project will be the exception to that, so that's why those are separate from the rest of the stash. If you look through my fat quarters you'll find Civil War mixed in with everything else, because mostly when I choose fabrics for a quilt I'm only looking at color, not at the theme of the fabric. 

The Up! themed baby quilt is basted and ready to quilt. I also have a couple swaddling blankets ready to sew. 

I have a bunch of projects I need to make progress on, but it all takes time. I have lines drawn on squares for sew and flip corners for four different quilts, and now I'm drawing lines on squares for yet another quilt. Doing quilt prep is as important as every other step, and I like to stuff like that done ahead of time, so when I want to get down to sewing it's ready to go. 

I've spent quite a bit of time designing quilts lately too, so I've been figuring out cutting requirements for some new starts that will be coming up. 

I had another big fling and gave all my Christmas fabrics to someone who would use them faster than I would. The Christmas fabrics I had were leftover from my scrub top making days. I rarely make holiday quilting projects, and the couple Christmas quilts I have made didn't use Christmas fabrics. I've made dozens of stockings, and never used Christmas fabric for them. I do want to make a new Christmas tree skirt for my tree, but I have a jelly roll I want to use for that. I use hundreds of yards of fabric per year, but sometimes, realizing there is fabric you aren't likely to use and passing that to someone who will use it is a pretty nice feeling. 

No comments: