Thursday, March 14, 2019

Slow Week

We had a houseful of company over the weekend, and I was thrilled to be spending time with kids and grandkids. I was not lamenting the loss of sewing time, just enjoying my family. Now that the house has cleaned out, I'm back to sewing.


I made lots of Asian Inspired four patches. Just over half of these will be used in a wedding quilt, the rest will be used for another quilt. For one quilt the four patches will be framed, for the other they will get 'shadows'.


I also started the quilt for the next grandbaby due. His nursery will be themed from the movie UP! I've seen some awesome appliqued quilts with an UP! theme, but I'm not a big fan of applique, so I'm doing a pixelated version and piecing it all. I will be adding some details with the quilting. I'm hoping to have this quilt top finished by the end of next week. The rest of the sky will be quick to piece, it's the massive number of balloons that will take a while. I'm using 1.5" squares so each "balloon" will finish at 1 inch square. 

If you've never seen the movie, here is what the house looks like, and it gets lifted into the air by thousands of balloons.


I actually used a Perler bead pattern for my pixelated version. If you want to make a pixelated quilt, check for Perler bead patterns or cross-stitch and needlepoint patterns online for whatever design you are looking for. Paper piecing or applique would have given me a more accurate version, but I'm happy with what I'm doing. I don't think the baby will critique me too hard ;-)

One thing that really makes me happy about this baby quilt is how much of it is from my scrap user system. The sky is yardage, and the border will be as well. The roof fabric was a fat quarter, but all of the rest was from my scrap user system. I didn't want to cut into yardage for most of this, and that's why I fudged on the colors a bit. No worries, I think it will be fine in the end. 

That's all I've gotten done this week!


1 comment:

Katie Z. said...

I love using perler bead or cross stitch patterns for pixelated quilts! I just finished a Thomas the train quilt using a cross stitch pattern.