Thursday, June 6, 2019

One Wedding Quilt Down!

I finished one of the three wedding quilts I had to do. It's six months past the wedding date, but, hey, it's only six months late, I've been two years late before.


This quilt has been mailed to the recipients, I had hoped to give it to them in person, but that didn't work out. 

I only have two circles left to quilt on the red and white wedding quilt. I hope to finish quilting it tomorrow, but likely won't bind it for a week or so. The sewing machine I like to bind on is set up to quilt a baby quilt. My sit-down longarm doesn't like cotton thread, and I had the perfect cotton thread to quilt the deadline baby quilt, so I'll quilt it on my Bernina. 

I've also been sewing on my vintage machine. Oh, how spoiled I am to have multiple machines set up at once. It works really well for me. 


I had a bunch of black and batik bonus HSTs from a pineapple quilt I made for DD#2 a few years ago. I sewed them up into blocks this week, and I only ended up getting 37 of them. They finish at 5", so not very big. I decided I'd use black sashing and purple cornerstones to make them go a bit further. This is just them laid out on some black fabric to see how they'd look. I like the purple churn dashes that come up in a secondary pattern. If I set the blocks 6x6 with sashing and a border, it should work for a baby quilt. I'll have one extra block, maybe I'll turn it into a coaster. 


I was assembling the baby quilt on the design wall as leaders/enders while I was working on those black and batik blocks. I only have one row left to assemble before I start sewing rows together. 

I finally cut the panel to size for Mr. J's quilt, and I stuck it up on the design wall just to keep it from wrinkling. Honestly, his quilt will be pretty easy, but how I hate cutting huge pieces! If there is an easy way to cut something accurately 34.5 x 40.5 I don't know it. Yes, I used the lines on my largest cutting mat, because I couldn't figure out how else to do it. I folded the panel in half too, because my longest ruler isn't that long. I was really nervous to cut it. I cut the border that goes around the panel, and I cut all the pieces for the pieced border that goes around that. I have a few more things to cut for his quilt, but I may wait until I have the first two borders one before I cut any more. I'm altering the pattern, but the first two borders are per pattern directions, just in different colors. I have a couple different ways I could go to make the pattern taller, and I think auditioning them then make a decision is likely my best bet. If you are curious, I am using a free pattern found here. Width wise the pattern is fine for a bed quilt, but height wise it should be taller. Mr. J's favorite color is red, so I'm doing a red background on the pieced border, with black footprints. 

This weekend no sewing will be done, it's family time. DD#2 is bringing down the baby to meet the family, so I'll be making a taco bar for a crowd.  They had newborn photos done, and I think this one is just the cutest!


It's perfect with the UP! themed nursery they have going!



Miss E just turned 1 and has conquered the thumbs up sign! She's a cutie, but I might be biased. 

Lots of stuff going on, lots of projects being moved along. I'm seeing the light at the end of the tunnel for this year's deadline quilts, then I can start my huge Christmas quillow project. I plan to make 13 quillows and I likely won't start until August. Nothing crazy about that, right?


No comments: