Thursday, June 20, 2019

Third Wedding Quilt of 2019

I did it! I finished the last wedding quilt I know of for this year. I've got another nephew talking marriage, but I think it will be next year. 


It was really bright when I had DH take the photo so the colors are pretty washed out, but this gives you the idea. This quilt is 103" square. 

The natural choice for thread color to quilt this quilt was black, but black thread on black fabric causes me so much eye strain I won't do it anymore. 


Instead of black, I chose a dark gray thread for the quilting. It's actually darker than it shows in this photo. I'm starting to make thread choices on what's better for me as the quilter, than what's possibly the best choice for the quilt. A predominantly white quilt can be quilted with a pastel color and it's not glaringly obvious from a distance. A predominantly black quilt can be quilted with gray with equal success. 

I debated quilting some feathers or something in the setting triangles, and that would have looked great. I think custom quilting would have been lost in the busy Asian-Inspired fabrics. I opted for a very organic looking meander, and you know what, something else may have been a better choice, but this quilt is finished, and finished is better than perfect!

This is the quilt where I was so frustrated with the backing fabrics. I had two different 3 yard pieces of 108" wide fabric. The quilt is 103", so it would have been close, but both of those backing fabrics were too small. From selvage to selvage, the fabric was too small to work, so that tells me manufacturers are selling fabrics as 108" wide, but not all of them are. I had to order a backing fabric from the 116/118" selection to get one that fit. Now I have two black backings that can't even count on covering a 100" quilt. If manufacturers are going to short us on wide back fabrics, they need to offer a better selection of 118" fabrics. Honestly, I'd be willing to pay more to get wider fabric, because on some quilts that extra bit is enough for binding. 


I got the pieced borders for the dinosaur quilt ready to sew on. I won't be working on that for a bit, because we've got a family dinner coming up on Sunday and I need to hide my progress from Mr. J. His birthday is in July, so this Nana needs to get going!

DS the Younger and his family are arriving today and staying for a few days. We haven't seen him since he was deployed, and most of the family still hasn't met their baby, whom I will refer to as Mr. X since they don't want his information online. 

So it's family time for me, but I'm glad I pushed myself and finished that wedding quilt! Now I won't be stressing about deadlines during their visit. Now that the dinosaur quilt is my only deadline before Christmas, I've got some breathing room. 

No comments: