Wednesday, July 10, 2019

Out of Pins!

I finally ran out of basting pins! I now have 12 UFO's basted and ready to be quilted. 


How's that for a stack of basted quilts? Six of these quilts have Frankenbatts. I am finished with the poly batting scraps. I have three extra poly Frankenbatts I didn't use this go around. One is a baby size, one throw size, and one twin. I measured the battings after I finished piecing them, and wrote the size down and pinned it to each. I had some very small poly batting scraps left, but I'm flinging them to my sister who uses them for stuffing.

I am not finished with the cotton batting, but I did use up all the long strips. I think I likely have enough left to piece a couple baby sized Frankenbatts, maybe even one of those a throw sized. I have some really small pieces of cotton batting left, which I'll likely piece for potholders or placemats.

I could have finished with the batting scraps today, but I needed a break from that. Instead I got the binding sewn on the dinosaur quilt.


It's been washed and I even have it wrapped already!


I also whipped up a couple of placemats for Mr. LJ. The last time I made placemats for the grandkids he was too little to get any. He likes everything that goes. I only had a fat quarter of Thomas fabric, so the backside has airplanes. The car fabric I had enough for both sides. I'm not sure how he'll do with placemats, he's just as likely to use it to easily throw his whole meal on the floor as he is to enjoy it. I told DD#2 if he likes them and does well with them, I'll happily make more, but this is enough to test the waters. After doing so many intense projects lately, it was pretty fun to just decide to make a couple placemats and whip them out in a day. 

Tomorrow DS the Elder arrives with his family for a visit. It was funny, I was summoned to do jury duty while DS the Younger was in town, and it was rescheduled to tomorrow. I just called and now it's been cancelled, which thrills me to no end, because I didn't want to miss any time with my boys or their families to do jury duty. 

I'm not expecting any time to sew in the next week or more, family time beats sewing every time! With the wedding quilts finished, Mr. J's birthday quilt done, most of the batting scraps dealt with, and a dozen quilts basted, it's a great time for a break. It would have been great to be finished with the batting scraps, but I'll take this much done. I've been working hard to get this much done, and I deserve a break. 


1 comment:

Katie Z. said...

I’m impressed! Frankenbatts, an enormous pile of basted quilts, AND placemats? Whew! I only keep cotton batting around. I should pull out all my scraps and see what kind of Frankenbatts I can find. I won’t have six, but maybe one or two.

How’s the weather? The heat has finally arrived here, nothing like Arizona, but we have humidity to make up for a little less heat!